Can you help this Hitchin charity make an orphaned child’s Christmas?
- Credit: Archant
A Hitchin-based charity that works with refugees and vulnerable children across the world is appealing for your help this Christmas.
Humanitas, based in Bucklersbury in the town, has launched its 2020 Christmas Appeal, which asks generous members of the public to help buy gifts for orphaned or abandoned children in Romania.
The charity runs two ‘safe homes’ in Romania that are focused on the rehabilitation of children, many of whom live with disabilities, who have been left behind by their parents or guardians.
All of the children living in the homes have experienced severe neglect whilst living in state run institutions and still require intense therapy and emotional support to enable them to overcome their trauma.
Sarah Wade, founder of Humanitas said: “This has been a particularly difficult time for us, and now more than ever we need funds to ensure we give the incredibly resilient children a Christmas that they deserve.”
You may also want to watch:
Jo Wearne, UK Director at the charity, added: “We have seen the children in our care grow from frightened, mute and undernourished babies into young boys and girls that are thriving, learning and attending mainstream school.
“Their strength and resilience in the face of extreme adversity is, quite simply, awe inspiring.”
In previous years, Humanitas has raised funds to buy everything from pajamas and headphones to dolls, bracelets and balls. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit humanitascharity.org if you can donate.
- 1 June 21: Will lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 2 Restaurant's plans 'will add interest' to streetscene
- 3 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 4 Teenager left shaken after robbery in Hitchin
- 5 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 6 PM set to announce postponement of lockdown easing today
- 7 Application submitted for electric vehicle charging forecourt off A1(M)
- 8 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 9 Family plea to save eight-month-old pup Ellie
- 10 Do you recognise these people?