Dramatic photos show damage after Hitchin car fire
- Credit: Archant
Striking photographs taken by a passer-by show the extent of damage a car fire caused in Hitchin.
Stefan Hill, from Stevenage, took the pictures on Monday afternoon – and expressed shock as he posted them on social media.
Firefighters from Hitchin Fire Station tackled the car fire in Bury Mead Road at 9.20am that morning, with one engine at the scene.
A hosereel and two sets of breathing apparatus were used to put out the blaze, which was out by 9.55am.
Police told the Comet the fire was “accidental and happened at a garage”.
You may also want to watch:
The incident happened on the same day a lorry carrying scrap cars caught fire on the A505 Fishponds Road, between Butts Close and Hitchin Town’s Top Field football ground.
- 1 Woman trapped in car after colliding with tree on A602
- 2 A602 remains partially shut in Stevenage after crash
- 3 Residents consulted on redevelopment of Letchworth's Hawksley bungalows
- 4 Stevenage schoolboy wins national chef award
- 5 Appeal to save Astonbury Wood is successful
- 6 Developer appointed for new Baldock neighbourhoods
- 7 Special needs school's urgent appeal for swim helpers
- 8 Man jailed after attacking victim with glass bottle in hotel room
- 9 Armed Forces Day 2021: Great day promised with pop-up museum and Spitfire fly-past
- 10 Stevenage Borough Juniors crowned national champions after tense victory