Hitchin cannabis factory busted open as London officers make eight arrests
- Credit: Archant
A major cannabis factory was busted open in Hitchin yesterday as London officers targeting organised crime executed a warrant in the town.
Armed officers from the Met’s London Crime Squad raided a commercial premises in Hitchin’s Bury Mead Road industrial area at about 6am yesterday, with support from a Herts police helicopter and officers.
Eight warrants were executed in the capital as part of the same swoop, with a second cannabis factory found there. About £4,000 in cash was seized.
The Comet was asked to refrain from publicising the raids in the immediate aftermath, but a Met Police spokeswoman said today: “As part of a Metropolitan Police London Crime Squad operation to tackle drug dealing by organised criminal gangs, eight search warrants were executed at various residential premises in London and one in Hertfordshire at a commercial premises in Hitchin.
“Officers discovered a large cannabis factory at the Hitchin premises, and a further cannabis factory at one of the addresses in London. They also seized £4,000 in cash.
You may also want to watch:
“Eight people – seven men and one woman, aged between 26 and 57 – have been arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to supply controlled drugs, and currently remain in police custody at a central London police station.”
- 1 Man taken to hospital after crash involving mobility scooter and motorhome
- 2 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 3 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash
- 4 Letchworth paedophile jailed for sexual activity with a child
- 5 Aldi eyeing new Hertfordshire store locations
- 6 Child abuse investigation dropped after hotel lost CCTV
- 7 Developers confirm controversial plans for Hitchin flats to go to appeal
- 8 Opening of long-awaited Stevenage supermarket
- 9 Two jailed for conspiracy to supply cocaine
- 10 New funding for social housing earmarked for independent living scheme