Hitchin businesswoman set to star in show which rivals Dragon’s Den and features comedian Jason Manford
- Credit: Archant
A successful Hitchin businesswoman is set to star on our screens tonight in a show to rival Dragon’s Den.
Alyssa Smith, who runs Alyssa Smith Jewellery out of North Herts College, will be appearing on new television show The Money Pit on cable channel Dave at 7.30pm.
The programme, featuring comedian Jason Manford, sees people risk their own money to invest in bright ideas and in the small businesses of hopeful entrepreneurs, as it taps into the popular trend of crowdfunding.
Manford plays ringmaster as dozens of amateur investors with anything from £100 to £20,000 compete – including a substantial amount from Alyssa – as he decides which entrepreneurs to back.
There’s everything to play for as investors can change their minds right up until the end of each episode. In return they’ll get back a share of the company or a special reward as rivalries develop between the strong-willed investors.
You may also want to watch:
Alyssa, who is the resident entrepreneur at the North Herts College, and who lives in Baldock, recently teamed up with BBC motor correspondent Suzi Perry – widely tipped to join Chris Evans as one of the new hosts of Top Gear show – to launch their Smith and Perry Motorsports collection.
She said: “The reason I was keen to get involved with the Money Pit is because of my passion for small business and entrepreneurship.
- 1 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 2 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 3 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 4 Have your say on parking restriction plans
- 5 Application submitted for electric vehicle charging forecourt off A1(M)
- 6 Family plea to save eight-month-old pup Ellie
- 7 Colossal bath makes a splash in Hitchin
- 8 Harry in Hitchin? Speculation rises as film crews descend on outdoor pool
- 9 June 21: Will lifting of coronavirus lockdown restrictions still go ahead?
- 10 Do you recognise these people?
“Being a business owner, the national ambassador for the Federation of Small Businesses and resident entrepreneur at North Herts College, the show’s topic is something I involve myself with daily. I know how hard it is raise funds to start and grow a business, and that was my primary driver to be in the show when they asked me.
“The show is based around crowdfunding, which I find fascinating. It’s quite fashionable and you don’t need huge amounts of money to make a difference to someone’s business. It’s very ‘now’. It was exciting to be a part of. Much harder than I imagined – but it was great fun.”
Money Pit starts on Thursday 29th October at 7.30pm on Dave.