Hitchin businesses take on waste problem with Reuse, Refill project
- Credit: Archant
Businesses in Hitchin are teaming up to reduce the number of plastic bottles and disposable coffee cups they send to landfill.
The Reuse, Refill project, started by the Clean Up Hitchin group with Hitchin Initiative, centres around Hitchin-branded reusable cups and water bottles.
Shops displaying a Reuse, Refill sticker will give customers hot drinks in their reusable cups, or free tap water in their bottles. There are also discounts for taking part.
Rachel Campbell from Clean Up Hitchin said there were only a few Hitchin-branded KeepCups left, but that they would do another order if there was demand.
“We’re all becoming painfully aware of the problem with single-use plastics and disposable coffee cups, which can’t be widely recycled,” she said.
You may also want to watch:
“This is an answer to that. Get a reusable coffee cup and a refillable water bottle – do something good for our environment and save some money in the process.”
See cleanuphitchin.co.uk to find out more.
- 1 Stevenage council: 'More flats will bring life to town'
- 2 Stevenage nursing home celebrates Pride
- 3 Tottenham test for Stevenage after draw for Papa John's Trophy
- 4 Hitchin Boys' teacher honoured with national award
- 5 Residents consulted on redevelopment of Letchworth's Hawksley bungalows
- 6 Woman trapped in car after colliding with tree on A602
- 7 Stevenage get big derby clash in first round of Carabao Cup
- 8 Cancelled school trip to red list Peru sees some students losing £2,250
- 9 Poppy Fletcher makes history by signing for Stevenage women
- 10 79-year-old pens autobiography inspired by move to Hitchin care home