Hitchin business owners raise concerns over Pizza Hut opening
- Credit: Archant
Business owners in a town have raised road safety concerns after a fast food chain opened in a parade.
A Pizza Hut delivery place opened on Cambridge Road on Tuesday last week but shop owners have said that the number of delivery cars and possible mopeds will add to an already congested road.
Pav Singh owner of Cambridge Road Stores said: “We have lost customers because vans have parked in the lay-by while they have been refurbishing the store, so when our customers have come to the shop, they’ve not been able to park and have driven off. Parking is already an issue here. They have only just opened but I’m sure that it’ll become even busier.”
The branch will be open seven days a week.
Assistant manager of China Kitchen Chien Cheung said: “My concern is the safety of the kids at the pedestrian crossing. The college isn’t far and Cambridge Road is a very busy road. If they have mopeds they’ll be going up and down Willian Road and Cambridge Road.”
You may also want to watch:
On January 15 the Comet reported a fatality on Cambridge Road in which 32-year-old Simon Cheung died after he was in collision with a car at the pedestrian crossing. Mr Cheung died from his injuries six days later.
Resident Natasha Enneu who lives on Willian Road said the lay-by needs to be made one way and permits need to be introduced in order to control the traffic flow.
- 1 Woman trapped in car after colliding with tree on A602
- 2 A602 remains partially shut in Stevenage after crash
- 3 Residents consulted on redevelopment of Letchworth's Hawksley bungalows
- 4 Appeal to save Astonbury Wood is successful
- 5 Stevenage schoolboy wins national chef award
- 6 Developer appointed for new Baldock neighbourhoods
- 7 Man jailed after attacking victim with glass bottle in hotel room
- 8 Special needs school's urgent appeal for swim helpers
- 9 Armed Forces Day 2021: Great day promised with pop-up museum and Spitfire fly-past
- 10 Stevenage Borough Juniors crowned national champions after tense victory
A spokesman for Pizza Hut said: “The safety of our drivers, vehicles and the public is of the utmost importance to us and all our drivers receive comprehensive training within their roles.”