Hitchin best friends brave storms to help Save the Children
- Credit: Archant
Two best friends from Hitchin braved the summer storms and slept out under the stars in a shelter they constructed themselves to raise nearly £200 for Save the Children’s annual Den Day Challenge.
Phoebe Deller and Ellie Stone – both aged 13 and who attend The Priory School and Hitchin Girls’ School – built their den using cardboard, plastic sheeting, tree branches and lots of string.
The duo were determined to last out the night despite whatever the weather decided to throw at them. In the event, after some early evening showers, the rest of the night was calm and rain-free.
Phoebe described how they found the experience. “The dawn chorus was what woke us up,” she said.
“I turned and said to Ellie: ‘The birds are very dawn chorus,’ because I wasn’t really comprehending what was happening due to a night of sleeping on rather uncomfortable cardboard.
You may also want to watch:
“This made us realise that we might complain, but to a lot of the kids that Save the Children is helping, our rather uncomfortable cardboard and cold den – although, admittedly, we had blankets and sleeping bags – would seem like luxury.”
Phoebe and Ellie were among thousands of primary and secondary aged children throughout the country who got sponsored to build super shelters – indoors or out – to help make life better for children who don’t have a safe place to sleep because they have been displaced from their homes by war or natural disasters.
- 1 Man jailed after attacking victim with glass bottle in hotel room
- 2 Appeal to save Astonbury Wood is successful
- 3 Police officer's 'text book first aid' saves life of elderly man
- 4 Help transform overgrown land into outdoor classroom
- 5 Developer appointed for new Baldock neighbourhoods
- 6 Hundreds of council flats placed on 24-hour watch over fire concerns
- 7 Rotheram shines on dreary day as Datchworth dump Dunstable
- 8 Man arrested on suspicion of indecent exposure following incident near splash park
- 9 Aldi eyes new Hertfordshire store locations
- 10 No further action for teen arrested in connection with Christopher Hewett murder investigation
Proud mum Kate Deller added: “I’m very proud of both of them. They did very well to last the whole night under the stars.”
For more details about the project visit the charity’s website at www.denday.savethechildren.org.