Hitchin beauty spot set for upgrade
A NATURE reserve is set to get a massive upgrade, making life udderly wonderful for animals such as these bovine beauties.
The Oughtonhead Common Local Nature Reserve has got some exciting projects planned for the next five years to improve the areas for wildlife.
There will be more grassland for the longhorn cattle which graze there, habitat enhancements to the River Oughton and the creation of ponds.
And it’s not just the animals that are set to benefit, with viewing points, boardwalks and picnic areas all planned for visitors.
David Cannon, leader of the Friends of Oughtonhead Common, said: “The volunteers have a great time managing the common. They get to spend time improving this beautiful nature reserve, whilst spotting Red Kites and other exciting wildlife.
“We always find time for a cup of tea, a biscuit and a natter, though.”
To get involved with the project or find out more, visit www.hertslink.org/cms/getactive/placestovisit/oughtonhead/
- 1 BID releases official statement after cancelling Christmas lights switch-on
- 2 Tranmere Rovers against Stevenage off after Storm Arwen damage
- 3 Yellow warning for snow and wind in Herts as Storm Arwen sweeps in
- 4 Villagers left waiting over an hour in cold for Arriva buses demand better service
- 5 15 adorable rescue pets in Hertfordshire looking for loving new homes this Christmas
- 6 Hertfordshire zoo Paradise Wildlife Park to temporarily close to the public in January
- 7 Hitchin named as happiest place to live in the East of England
- 8 Driver assaulted in racially aggravated attack following car crash
- 9 Stevenage Christmas lights switch-on: All you need to know
- 10 How Hertfordshire’s coronavirus figures compare to last year's lockdown