Hitchin Band promoted to elite championship status
- Credit: Archant
Hitchin’s brass band are celebrating after they were promoted to championship status at the weekend.
Hitchin Band, formed more than 150 years ago, was graded in the national third section as recently as 2012 before reaching the first section in 2015.
Led by musical director Graham Chambers on Saturday, the band’s 28 musicians took to the stage at Stevenage’s Gordon Craig Theatre to compete in the reigonal heats of the British Brass Band Championships.
Hitchin’s consistent performances over the last three years have earned it the top spot in the first section, meaning the band will be in the elite championship section from January 2019.
Band secretary Mike Thorn said everyone involved was delighted.
You may also want to watch:
In addition to the main band, the team of dedicated players also run a youth band and a new community brass band to give development opportunities to musicians of all ages and abilities.
To find out more, see hitchinband.co.uk.
- 1 Hundreds of council flats placed on 24-hour watch over fire concerns
- 2 Harry Styles and Emma Corrin snap confirms 'My Policeman' filming at Hitchin pool
- 3 Aldi eyes new Hertfordshire store locations
- 4 Have your say on proposals for 18 new flats on Kwik Fit site
- 5 Schoolchildren transform underpass into art gallery to mark Clean Air Day
- 6 Man arrested on suspicion of indecent exposure following incident near splash park
- 7 Stevenage lad donates 22 inches of hair to the Little Princess Trust
- 8 No further action for teen arrested in connection with Christopher Hewett murder investigation
- 9 Hertfordshire Garden Show set to return to Knebworth Park this summer
- 10 World premiere screening of film Lightships at Letchworth's Broadway cinema