Hitchin Band promoted to elite championship status
- Credit: Archant
Hitchin’s brass band are celebrating after they were promoted to championship status at the weekend.
Hitchin Band, formed more than 150 years ago, was graded in the national third section as recently as 2012 before reaching the first section in 2015.
Led by musical director Graham Chambers on Saturday, the band’s 28 musicians took to the stage at Stevenage’s Gordon Craig Theatre to compete in the reigonal heats of the British Brass Band Championships.
Hitchin’s consistent performances over the last three years have earned it the top spot in the first section, meaning the band will be in the elite championship section from January 2019.
Band secretary Mike Thorn said everyone involved was delighted.
In addition to the main band, the team of dedicated players also run a youth band and a new community brass band to give development opportunities to musicians of all ages and abilities.
To find out more, see hitchinband.co.uk.
- 1 Stevenage Major Works: Leaseholders sent final bills
- 2 North Herts deputy council leader Paul Clark passes away from COVID-19
- 3 Trust calls out council for causing 'uncertainty and chaos' by disrupting two-tier conversion
- 4 Prince Philip death joke tweets sparks probe as councillor leaves party
- 5 Cyclist remains in hospital after collision with bus
- 6 175-year-old primary school saved after months of uncertainty
- 7 Council leader and competitive figure skater takes to the ice
- 8 Tranquil Turtle officially opens with dazzling launch event
- 9 Christmas markets return to Hitchin
- 10 Downing Street: Our MPs' responses to alleged illegal Christmas party