Historic Hitchin band sweeps up prestigious international awards
- Credit: Archant
A Hitchin brass band has walked away with two prestigious awards from a virtual international competition they competed in last month.
Hitchin Band, which dates its history back to 1860, won ‘Most Entertaining Band’ and ‘Best Trombones’ in the championship section of the Cory Online Brass Band Championships, held in September.
After submitting their entry via a 10-minute video, with Zoom replacing a traditional set-up, our very own band beat competition from 70 other musical ensembles.
Despite not being able to rehearse together for the last six months, the Band say they are “immensely proud” to have been recognised with these awards.
Band chairman Allan Hooker said: “In these difficult times it was great to have a challenge and focus to bring the band together.
You may also want to watch:
“Thanks to all the hard work from the band, we walked away with two big prizes in an international competition and entertained thousands of viewers online!”
Their final piece, ‘Friend Like Me’ from Aladdin features scenes from around Hitchin, with final edits from Film Infinity Production’s Ian Miles.
- 1 A602 remains partially shut in Stevenage after crash
- 2 Woman trapped in car after colliding with tree on A602
- 3 Appeal to save Astonbury Wood is successful
- 4 Man jailed after attacking victim with glass bottle in hotel room
- 5 Developer appointed for new Baldock neighbourhoods
- 6 Stevenage schoolboy wins national chef award
- 7 Residents consulted on redevelopment of Letchworth's Hawksley bungalows
- 8 Help transform overgrown land into outdoor classroom
- 9 Special needs school's urgent appeal for swim helpers
- 10 Stevenage Borough Juniors crowned national champions after tense victory