Hitchin Band all set for National Brass Band Championships final this weekend
Hitchin’s brass band will be performing in the national finals of a UK-wide championship this weekend.
Hitchin Band will be one of 17 groups competing for the coveted title of first section national champions in the National Brass Band Championships in Cheltenham on Sunday.
The group is one of three representing London and the southern counties against some of the best bands in the nation, after winning a qualifying round in Stevenage.
The band will be holding a special open rehearsal tomorrow night from 8.30pm at Christchurch in Bedford Road – with members of the public welcome to come and hear them put the finishing touches to their set piece Tournament for Brass, with the help of musical director Graham Chambers.
Band secretary Mike Thorn told the Comet: “We are delighted with the way the band has progressed over recent years, and grateful for the growing support of the local community.
You may also want to watch:
“We can’t wait to take to the stage at the national finals. It will be a tough competition, but we are really proud to be representing Hitchin in such a prestigious event.”
The band’s contest performance comes just a week after they played to a packed concert audience at Maydencroft Manor in Gosmore, where more than £800 was raised for the Holy Saviour Church fund.
- 1 Aldi eyes new Hertfordshire store locations
- 2 Harry Styles and Emma Corrin snap confirms 'My Policeman' filming at Hitchin pool
- 3 Have your say on proposals for 18 new flats on Kwik Fit site
- 4 Man arrested on suspicion of indecent exposure following incident near splash park
- 5 Yellow weather warning of thunderstorms in Herts
- 6 MBE is an incredible honour, says Lister nurse Lizzie
- 7 Stevenage lad donates 22 inches of hair to the Little Princess Trust
- 8 Freedom Day: Events to go ahead but hospitality will be affected, says BID manager
- 9 No further action for teen arrested in connection with Christopher Hewett murder investigation
- 10 Survivors Against Domestic Abuse opens 23rd safe space as demand for services rises
A spokesman for the event said: “That was a triumph! I just know now from the audience reaction that there is a swell of pride rising for Hitchin Band.
“We would all like to thank the band and wish them the very best of luck at the finals.”