Hitchin Band all set for National Brass Band Championships final this weekend
Hitchin’s brass band will be performing in the national finals of a UK-wide championship this weekend.
Hitchin Band will be one of 17 groups competing for the coveted title of first section national champions in the National Brass Band Championships in Cheltenham on Sunday.
The group is one of three representing London and the southern counties against some of the best bands in the nation, after winning a qualifying round in Stevenage.
The band will be holding a special open rehearsal tomorrow night from 8.30pm at Christchurch in Bedford Road – with members of the public welcome to come and hear them put the finishing touches to their set piece Tournament for Brass, with the help of musical director Graham Chambers.
Band secretary Mike Thorn told the Comet: “We are delighted with the way the band has progressed over recent years, and grateful for the growing support of the local community.
“We can’t wait to take to the stage at the national finals. It will be a tough competition, but we are really proud to be representing Hitchin in such a prestigious event.”
The band’s contest performance comes just a week after they played to a packed concert audience at Maydencroft Manor in Gosmore, where more than £800 was raised for the Holy Saviour Church fund.
- 1 Tranquil Turtle officially opens with dazzling launch event
- 2 Dangerous paedophile jailed for sexual abuse of vulnerable girl
- 3 Serious collision on A602 injures four
- 4 Christmas markets return to Hitchin
- 5 Man charged with multiple burglaries after police chase
- 6 Icon building planning appeal quashed after High Court review
- 7 Here are the new Covid travel rules which begin today
- 8 175-year-old primary school saved after months of uncertainty
- 9 Christmas Fayre and switch-on attracts hundreds
- 10 Men sentenced after guns and class A drugs uncovered at Ickleford property
A spokesman for the event said: “That was a triumph! I just know now from the audience reaction that there is a swell of pride rising for Hitchin Band.
“We would all like to thank the band and wish them the very best of luck at the finals.”