Hitchin and Offley businesses to replace stolen war memorial vases
- Credit: Archant
A Hitchin funeral directors has offered to replace two vases which were stolen from Arlesey War Memorial.
After hearing the news of the theft, funeral director for Chenery Funeral Services Adam Males offered to donate two similar vases free of charge to Arlesey Town Council.
Hayley Ayres, director at Offley Memorials Ltd, also offered the company’s installation services for free.
Arlesey Town Council clerk Susan Foulkes said: “Needless to say, I really am very pleased with this outcome as the council had reluctantly started to consider the possible purchase of two vases from another memorial mason who were offering them at a cost of £200 each.
“The council was considering this as an interim solution while like-for-like replacements are specially made – which takes at least 14 weeks and therefore would not be supplied until after November 11 and the First World War centenary service.“
You may also want to watch:
Councillor Jason Auburn commented: “What a brilliant response from the two businesses in such a short space of time, I’m sure the whole community will join me in thanking them for their very kind offers.
“Related to this, it may be worth investigating ways to prevent this from happening again – through the use of smart water if it’s available externally or having the insides or underside engraved so they are easily identifiable.
- 1 Teenager left shaken after robbery in Hitchin
- 2 Restaurant's plans 'will add interest' to streetscene
- 3 June 21: Will lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 4 Lamb dies after livestock worrying offences in villages
- 5 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 6 Delta variant makes up more than half of new cases across Herts areas
- 7 Stevenage scientist's award for role in new HIV drugs
- 8 Defibrillators: How you could save a life
- 9 9 ways to stay safe while enjoying Stevenage town centre
- 10 Assault in Baldock leaves man with cracked eye socket
“Hopefully this never happens again.”