Hitchin and Offley businesses to replace stolen war memorial vases
- Credit: Archant
A Hitchin funeral directors has offered to replace two vases which were stolen from Arlesey War Memorial.
After hearing the news of the theft, funeral director for Chenery Funeral Services Adam Males offered to donate two similar vases free of charge to Arlesey Town Council.
Hayley Ayres, director at Offley Memorials Ltd, also offered the company’s installation services for free.
Arlesey Town Council clerk Susan Foulkes said: “Needless to say, I really am very pleased with this outcome as the council had reluctantly started to consider the possible purchase of two vases from another memorial mason who were offering them at a cost of £200 each.
“The council was considering this as an interim solution while like-for-like replacements are specially made – which takes at least 14 weeks and therefore would not be supplied until after November 11 and the First World War centenary service.“
Councillor Jason Auburn commented: “What a brilliant response from the two businesses in such a short space of time, I’m sure the whole community will join me in thanking them for their very kind offers.
“Related to this, it may be worth investigating ways to prevent this from happening again – through the use of smart water if it’s available externally or having the insides or underside engraved so they are easily identifiable.
- 1 Five teenagers arrested following 'violent disorder' in Stevenage
- 2 Plans for second multi-storey car park at Stevenage's Lister Hospital to help 'better meet demand'
- 3 Car crashes with pedestrian on A602 Stevenage Road
- 4 A1(M) closed in both directions near Letchworth
- 5 Mental health crisis café to open in Stevenage
- 6 Plans approved for former Stevenage bus station site
- 7 £3k thank you to Lister for pregnant wife's bleed on brain care
- 8 Three arrested after cannabis, cash and phones seized
- 9 Award-winning Hitchin nursery celebrates bumper year for staff
- 10 Can you spot your school at Stevenage's Commonwealth Games Day?
“Hopefully this never happens again.”