Hitchin and Letchworth host Christmas light switch-ons
TWO Comet country towns will be lighting up the streets this weekend in their respective Christmas light switch-ons.
Hitchin will be first, with activities happening in town from 4pm onwards tomorrow (Friday) and the big switch-on itself scheduled for 6pm.
The lights will be switched on by a lucky competition winner, who will be selected on the day from 10 finalists.
The Christmas Belles will perform a set prior to that at 5.30pm, and there will also be performance from the Covenant Praise Church Gospel Choir.
Dave ‘Darth Vader’ Prowse will be in Waterstones between 5pm and 7pm signing copies of his new book and local businesses will be setting up stalls from 4pm, selling mulled wine, food, drink and other goodies.
You may also want to watch:
In Letchworth GC, Letchworth Town Centre will be lit up at 5pm on Saturday as Father Christmas flicks the switch.
Santa will be joined on stage by one lucky winner, to be picked from a raffle held at Letchworth Town Centre Partnership’s information point in Leys Square.
- 1 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 2 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 3 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 4 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 5 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
- 6 How well do you know Letchworth? Take our quiz to find out
- 7 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 8 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 9 Man charged with robbery after being tracked down by PD Luther
- 10 Free parking in Stevenage High Street will remain
Santa will arrive in the town at 12.15pm to the sound of The Hitchin Air Cadets Fanfare team, kicking off a series of events which continue past 8pm.
Santa’s Grotto opens in Garden Square Shopping Centre from 12.45pm, at the same time as the first of six live acts - which include Pete Webb as Elvis and Garden City Samba - entertain on a stage in Leys Square up until the switch on.
After the countdown and the lights are lit there will be a firework display and traditional carols from the Letchworth Salvation Army Brass Band.
The town centre will also see a number of events throughout the day, with Letchworth GC-based charities MS Therapy Centre and MS Trust joining together for a Scadinavian market from 10am to 7pm at 38 Leys Avenue, while David’s Bookshop hosts their annual Christmas Market from 3pm to 7pm.
There will also be a Family Fun Day at the Three Magnets from 3pm, with La Concha Win & Tapas Bar’s Music, Mulled Wine & Mince pie Madness evening from 7pm.
Entertainment concludes with a performance by international artist Randolph Matthew at Thai Garden in Gernon Road from 8pm.