Bim Afolami signs cross-party letter demanding Govia answers from Transport Secretary
- Credit: Archant
Hitchin and Harpenden’s Bim Afolami is among MPs from across the political spectrum who have signed a joint letter to the Transport Secretary ahead of talks tonight.
Conservative MP Mr Afolami was among 20 MPs representing constituents from Herts, Beds, London, and Sussex to sign last night’s letter to Chris Grayling.
The letter, signed by Labour, Conservative, Liberal Democrat and Green MPs, highlights the high level of disruption caused to train users – and calls for clarity on “how the situation was allowed to get to this point, what the department is doing right now to rectify this situation and what plans the government has in the longer term to resolve the many significant issues with this franchise’.
According to the MPs’ letter, the “abject failure of Govia Thameslink Railway to deliver a decent service resulted in 455 cancelled or delayed services in just one day”.
Major disruptions began when the new timetable was implemented, with hopes to offer services south across London from Herts, Beds and Cambs, longer trains with a larger capacity, and Royston-to-Brighton through service.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Afolami tweeted: “With my cross-party colleagues in parliament, I have signed this very important letter to Chris Grayling demanding answers to the chaos we have seen on Govia Thameslink’s network. “
Govia and Network Rail have since apologised to customers and stated they are currently working on plans to reduce disruption – but say it will take more time to significantly improve services.
- 1 June 21: Will lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 2 Restaurant's plans 'will add interest' to streetscene
- 3 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 4 Teenager left shaken after robbery in Hitchin
- 5 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 6 PM set to announce postponement of lockdown easing today
- 7 Application submitted for electric vehicle charging forecourt off A1(M)
- 8 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 9 Family plea to save eight-month-old pup Ellie
- 10 Do you recognise these people?