Hitchin and Harpenden MP Bim Afolami named by BBC as one to watch in 2020
- Credit: Archant
Bim Afolami, MP for Hitchin and Harpenden, has been named on the BBC’s list of 10 MPs to keep an eye on in 2020.
Mr Afolami was re-elected as a Member of Parliament last week, but saw his majority slashed to just under 7,000 votes following a strong election campaign from Liberal Democrat candidate Sam Collins.
The 33-year-old sits on the Constitution Reform Group, a cross-party pressure group devoted to seeking a new constitutional settlement for the UK.
The group are expected to be major players in the parliamentary programme of 2020, with a second campaign for Scottish independence on the horizon.
Mr Afolami - who also served as a private secretary in the Department of Transport - has been touted as one of the rising stars of the Conservative party since his election as Hitchin and Harpenden MP in 2017.
You may also want to watch:
The BBC list of MPs to watch also includes Conservative MPs Eleanor Laing, Tom Tugendhat, Johnny Mercer, Mel Stride, and Labour MPs Dan Jarvis and Rachel Reeves.
- 1 No further action for teen arrested in connection with Christopher Hewett murder investigation
- 2 Teenager left shaken after robbery in Hitchin
- 3 Restaurant's plans 'will add interest' to streetscene
- 4 Lamb dies after livestock worrying offences in villages
- 5 June 21: Will lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 6 Assault in Baldock leaves man with cracked eye socket
- 7 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 8 9 ways to stay safe while enjoying Stevenage town centre
- 9 Delta variant makes up more than half of new cases across Herts areas
- 10 Stevenage scientist's award for role in new HIV drugs