Hitchin named runner-up in Great British High Street Awards
- Credit: Picture: DANNY LOO
Hitchin town centre has been named as the runner-up in the search for England’s best high street at an awards ceremony today.
After being nominated in the 'Champion Award' category of the Great British High Street Awards 2019, Hitchin town centre manager Tom Hardy represented our town at the ceremony held in Edinburgh.
He tweeted: "Amazing that Hitchin has been celebrated as a finalist in the Great British High Street Awards having come in the top three best towns in England.
"Today we're runners up, the competition was really strong and we thank everyone who helped us get to the final. We should all be so proud!"
The government-led initiative highlighted Hitchin as one of three 'Champion Award' finalists for England. Under the category, high streets are judged on the success of their community, customer experience, environmental impact and digital transformation.
You may also want to watch:
Hitchin town centre competed against Grimsby's Freeman Street and this year's winner - Belper in Derbyshire.
- 1 June 21: Will lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 2 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 3 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 4 Colossal bath makes a splash in Hitchin
- 5 Application submitted for electric vehicle charging forecourt off A1(M)
- 6 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 7 Family plea to save eight-month-old pup Ellie
- 8 Have your say on parking restriction plans
- 9 Do you recognise these people?
- 10 Drugs, weapons and cash recovered as man arrested in Beds village