Teenagers reportedly ‘cough in faces’ of elderly couple in Hitchin
- Credit: Archant
Three teenagers have been arrested following an altercation in Hitchin which left a woman in her 70s with bruising to one of her eyes.
Officers are currently investigating the incident which happened in Paynes Park at around 12.50pm on Friday 20.
An elderly couple were walking through the park when they were approached by three people, one of whom reportedly coughed in their faces, making them feel uncomfortable.
An altercation then ensued after a passerby intervened.
The woman subsequently suffered bruising to one of her eyes and a vehicle was damaged.
You may also want to watch:
She was taken to hospital for a check-up and is now recovering at home with her family.
The person who intervened, a man in his 30s, also suffered bruising.
- 1 Funeral organiser fined £10,000 after more than 150 people attend
- 2 NHS Trust says vaccine figures offer hope as 40 per cent of Lister's patients have COVID-19
- 3 Police attend Arlesey funeral after COVID-19 guidelines breached
- 4 Police confirm investigation into alleged Morrisons spitting incident
- 5 Abandoned car that made international headlines set to be scrapped
- 6 Rapid community COVID-19 testing launches in Hertfordshire
- 7 Which Herts communities have seen the biggest rises and falls in COVID-19?
- 8 Hitchin Pride, Eat Alfresco and more - What's on in Hitchin when COVID-19 restrictions end?
- 9 How many people in Stevenage were fined for breaking COVID-19 laws?
- 10 Confirmation that Stevenage Five Guys restaurant is coming soon
Three males, aged 16, 18 and 19, have been arrested and interviewed in connection with the incident.
They have been released under investigation while enquiries continue.
Anyone who witnessed the incident is asked to get in touch with police, quoting ISR 252 of 20 March.
Please note: This is a live investigation and we would like to remind people that posting details of those involved could have a significant impact on proceedings.
It has also come to police’s attention that there is footage circulating on social media and we would politely ask that people refrain from sharing the video for the same reasons.