Hitchin adventurer to take on 500-mile trek in Spain to raise money for children in Nepal
- Credit: Archant
A Hitchin adventurer who is no stranger to reaching new goals has set her sights on a month-long 500-mile charity walk across northern Spain to raise money for children in Nepal.
Loraine Denison is to walk El Camino de Santiago – or The Way of St James – in aid of Supporting Nepal’s Children, set up by her friend Hazel Grace who she met at Everest base camp in Nepal.
Loraine said: “I’m always looking to take on new challenges and adventures, and the first time I met Hazel she was so exuberant and full of life – she took my breath away, so I instantly wanted to help her cause.”
The charity is dedicated to improving the life and choices of children in remote Nepal through the ongoing development of local, quality education and it’s something Loraine is passionate about having met Nepalese families on her travels.
“They are lovely people who live in such harsh conditions, they would give you their last piece of food if you needed it,” she said.
You may also want to watch:
Loraine has cycled in Morocco and Vietnam and climbed Ben Nevis, as well as going to the Everest base camp in Nepal, where she narrowly missed the earthquake in 2015.
Writer Loraine, who has had her book Living With A Positive Attitude published, prides herself on her spirituality and attitude to life.
- 1 June 21: Will lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 2 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 3 Application submitted for electric vehicle charging forecourt off A1(M)
- 4 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 5 Family plea to save eight-month-old pup Ellie
- 6 Colossal bath makes a splash in Hitchin
- 7 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 8 Drugs, weapons and cash recovered as man arrested in Beds village
- 9 Do you recognise these people?
- 10 Have your say on parking restriction plans
She said: “I started on this journey when my marriage ended 15 years ago. I try to do as much as possible but always think of my safety, organisation and wellbeing whenever I decide on a new adventure, and mentally prepare myself.”
Loraine will be packing light and staying in hostels when she sets off on Friday, June 24, on the trek to where legend holds that the apostle St James the Great is buried at Santiago Cathedral.