Hitchin A602 crash: Appeal after tragedy in which woman died, with three others still in critical condition
- Credit: Archant
Officers investigating the Hitchin A602 crash tragedy at the weekend in which a woman tragically died have today appealed for witnesses and dash cam footage.
The crash happened on the A602 Park Way just after 9.40pm on Saturday night, near the junction with Charlton Road.
A silver Peugeot 406 estate and a blue Peugeot 306 were the cars involved in the crash – the scene of which was attended by officers, firefighters and paramedics, along with the Helimed air ambulance team.
The rear passenger in the Peugeot 306, a woman aged in her 40s, was sadly pronounced dead at the scene. Her next of kin have been informed and are being supported by specially-trained officers.
Both the front passenger, a woman aged in her 30s, and the driver, also aged in his 30s, suffered serious injuries and were taken to Addenbrooke’s Hospital in Cambridge, where they remain in a critical condition.
You may also want to watch:
The driver of the Peugeot 406 estate, a man aged in his 50s, suffered serious injuries and was also taken to Addenbrooke’s – where he remains in a critical condition.
The carriageway remained closed until 4am to allow emergency services to work at the scene and investigate the circumstances of the collision.
- 1 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 2 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 3 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 4 Have your say on parking restriction plans
- 5 Application submitted for electric vehicle charging forecourt off A1(M)
- 6 Family plea to save eight-month-old pup Ellie
- 7 Colossal bath makes a splash in Hitchin
- 8 Harry in Hitchin? Speculation rises as film crews descend on outdoor pool
- 9 June 21: Will lifting of coronavirus lockdown restrictions still go ahead?
- 10 Do you recognise these people?
PC Bob Hauxwell from the Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire and Hertfordshire Road Policing Unit said: “Sadly a woman has lost her life as a result of this collision and our thoughts are with her family at this very difficult time.
“We are doing all we can to establish the circumstances around exactly what happened leading up to the collision on Saturday night.
“I am now appealing to anyone who has any information that could assist our investigation, and who has not yet spoken to police, to please come forward.
“Additionally, there are now an increasing number of motorists who have dash cams installed in their vehicles.
“If you have any footage which you believe may prove helpful to our enquiries, we ask that you call 101 immediately, quoting ISR 768 of August 12.”