Hitchin – ‘A great community foundation to build on’, says top cop as community event is hailed a success
- Credit: Archant
A meeting to discuss how to improve community provision in Hitchin has hailed the town’s spirit.
More than 75 people gathered on a very hot evening at Hitchin Town Hall in Brand Street on Tuesday.
The event was hosted by Redeeming Our Communities, a national organisation that engages with as many people and agencies as possible to transform local life for the better.
Those attending included representatives from the police, fire service, probation service, councillors, churches and other community organisations.
The delegates discussed three main issues – where are the gaps in community provision, what are the solutions and what skills can you contribute towards the solution. The feedback session proved to be a lively session with some inspiring ideas.
You may also want to watch:
Chief constable Charlie Hall said: “Hitchin has a great community foundation to build on” – with Michelle Szyman from the probation service adding: “The more people that are invested in community, the less likely they are to commit harm.”
A report of the evening is set to be written up in the next two weeks, and copies of this can be obtained by emailing Phil Jackson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Phil, who is part of the Christians Together movement, is heading up an action group for those who wish to turn some of these ideas into reality.
- 1 Hundreds of council flats placed on 24-hour watch over fire concerns
- 2 Harry Styles and Emma Corrin snap confirms 'My Policeman' filming at Hitchin pool
- 3 Have your say on proposals for 18 new flats on Kwik Fit site
- 4 Aldi eyes new Hertfordshire store locations
- 5 Schoolchildren transform underpass into art gallery to mark Clean Air Day
- 6 Man arrested on suspicion of indecent exposure following incident near splash park
- 7 Poppy Appeal stalwart Les Mortimer recognised for decades of fundraising
- 8 MBE is an incredible honour, says Lister nurse Lizzie
- 9 Stevenage lad donates 22 inches of hair to the Little Princess Trust
- 10 No further action for teen arrested in connection with Christopher Hewett murder investigation
He said: “The overwhelming impression from the evening is that Hitchin has a great community spirit, with many involved in helping to improve it.”