‘His generosity’s being reflected back on him’ – More than £5,000 raised in a week to help Arlesey trader seriously injured in Hitchin crash
- Credit: Archant
The community is truly coming together for a self-employed Arlesey trader seriously injured in a crash in Hitchin, with more than £5,000 raised in a week.
Dave Miles, affectionately known as ‘Meatball’, had to be induced into a coma and airlifted to Addenbrooke’s Hospital after the incident on October 17.
Two days later, on Wednesday last week, his friend Keith Bellringer set up a crowdfunding page to raise funds for his recovery, setting a target of £500 – but that was smashed within hours.
“He is a very lucky boy but also one hell of a fighter,” Ben Miles, Dave’s brother, posted on the fundraising page on Monday.
“I am very very proud to not only call him my brother but also one the best pals anyone could ever wish for.”
The initial appeal on the page described Dave, an electrician and general jack-of-all-trades originally from Stotfold, as an ‘incredibly caring individual whose selflessness outweighs his hairiness’, and called for folks to get together ‘a few quid to help tide him over until he’s back on his bare feet’.
“We can’t have him worrying about rushing back to work to pay the bills,” it adds.
- 1 Licence review for Hitchin's Chicken George after neighbour complaint
- 2 'He lives on in the hearts of those who knew him' - hundreds pay respects to Kajetan at moving mass
- 3 Bid to find living kidney transplant donor for Hitchin girl
- 4 Decision on controversial Lord Lister application deferred
- 5 Permanent parking loss if outdoor seating plans approved
- 6 Former company boss fined after illegal waste dumped at quarry
- 7 Hitchin Lavender named the most Instagrammed floral location in UK
- 8 Stevenage school in 'area of huge deprivation' wins national award
- 9 Herts police officers shared rape 'jokes' and bestiality porn on WhatsApp
- 10 Hertfordshire businesses honoured in Muddy Stilettos Awards 2022
The friends supporting the appeal include Felix Camfield-Walker, owner of Hitchin hair salon Farley’s.
“It’s a wonderful thing to see,” said Felix. “If you need something, anytime he’d just drop it all and come help you.
“He came and helped us with some rewiring and stuff and wouldn’t take any money – and we’re far from the only ones.
“So many people have benefitted from Dave’s generosity, and the fact people have reacted this way proves that. His generosity is being reflected back on him.”
Dave, whose firm is called Miles Electrical, is among other things known for his love of retro VW buses.
There have been more than 175 individual donations to the page, with some well-wishers giving as much as £100.
The latest target set was £3,500, but the total raised now standing at over £5,000.
If you’d like to contribute, see gofundme.com/meatballs-road-to-recovery-2v3b3j4y.