High Street businesses in Biggleswade, Sandy and Potton urged to apply for share of £1m Central Bedfordshire Council kitty
- Credit: Archant
High street businesses in Biggleswade, Sandy and Potton are being urged to apply for a share of Central Bedfordshire Council’s £1million High Street Improvements kitty.
The scheme was launched this week with the aim of revitalising market town centres through replacing or renovating high street shop fronts and tackling vacant retail units.
Councillor Nigel Young, responsible for regeneration at Central Bedfordshire Council, said: “The scheme is an exciting new initiative that provides significant opportunities to improve our market towns at a time when very few other authorities are investing in town centres.
“We have responded to the needs of town councils and businesses, many of whom wish to enhance their high streets and improve their shopping experience.
“Clean and well-presented buildings, including shops, make an area more welcoming, improve its image, contribute towards a stronger sense of identity and can often encourage a greater number of shopping visits.
You may also want to watch:
“We are pleased to be working in partnership with town councils to help these important retail locations to thrive and grow and further contribute to making Central Bedfordshire and great place to live and work.”
Applications for the grants will be received in three rounds with the first deadline in September.
- 1 Taser video: Officer's actions which left man with injuries 'deemed appropriate'
- 2 A505 driver escapes without serious injury after head-on crash
- 3 Arrest made and 350 cannabis plants seized after raid in Letchworth
- 4 Council criticised for 'shoddy' underpass paint job
- 5 'Important milestone' reached in building of John Barker Place
- 6 History buffs celebrate town's historic buildings
- 7 Glimpses of the past: Exploring Hitchin from 1910 - 1950
- 8 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 9 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 10 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
Successful applicants will receive a grant of 60 per cent of the total cost of the work to carry out improvements, with the remaining 40 per cent to be sourced from the private or public sector.
For more information and to apply for the scheme, visit www.centralbedfordshire.gov.uk/market-towns.