High number of multiple births in town
MULTIPLE births in and around Shefford have been so high a special club has been formed. The Twins and More activity group now meets at the Shefford Methodist Church twice a month to help families cope with having multiple births. It is estimated that the
MULTIPLE births in and around Shefford have been so high a special club has been formed.
The Twins and More activity group now meets at the Shefford Methodist Church twice a month to help families cope with having multiple births.
It is estimated that there are 24 sets of twins, one set of triplets and a set of quadruplets in and around the Shefford area which is much higher than the national average.
Even a spokesman for the Twins and Multiple Births Association said: "Gosh, for a small town and its surrounding area this is quite high."
You may also want to watch:
The group is part of the Orchard Children's Centre and its co-ordinator Catherine Williams said: "The local health visitor told us about all these births then some parents asked us to run the group as there is such a large number of multiple births in the area.
"The group is aimed at families with children under three and helps parents have a break. It also helps them meet other families with multiple births to see how they are coping.
- 1 Aldi eyes new Hertfordshire store locations
- 2 Harry Styles and Emma Corrin snap confirms 'My Policeman' filming at Hitchin pool
- 3 Have your say on proposals for 18 new flats on Kwik Fit site
- 4 Man arrested on suspicion of indecent exposure following incident near splash park
- 5 Yellow weather warning of thunderstorms in Herts
- 6 MBE is an incredible honour, says Lister nurse Lizzie
- 7 Stevenage lad donates 22 inches of hair to the Little Princess Trust
- 8 Freedom Day: Events to go ahead but hospitality will be affected, says BID manager
- 9 No further action for teen arrested in connection with Christopher Hewett murder investigation
- 10 Survivors Against Domestic Abuse opens 23rd safe space as demand for services rises
"It is all free and part of the Government's Sure Start system and since we opened the numbers coming here have grown."
No statistics are available from NHS Bedfordshire or the Shefford surgery on multiple births in the area.
For more information about the group call 01462 615115 or 07982 948747.