High-frying chippie aims to go one batter
A FISH and chip shop owner is hoping to batter the opposition in the next round of a national competition. Stephen Wilding, owner of Saxon s Traditional British Fish and Chips, Biggleswade, has already won the accolade of being the best chippie in Beds, B
A FISH and chip shop owner is hoping to batter the opposition in the next round of a national competition.
Stephen Wilding, owner of Saxon's Traditional British Fish and Chips, Biggleswade, has already won the accolade of being the best chippie in Beds, Bucks and Herts. Now he is hoping to be the best in the south and central areas of the UK.
Stephen hopes to serve up the tastiest dish in the next round of the competition when he faces Duncan Nash of Seafare Fish and Chips from Aldershot.
The winner will compete against 10 other regional finalists for the major prize of being the best fish and chip shop in Britain.
You may also want to watch:
"We've worked hard to maintain our high standards which saw us take the regional title last year," said Stephen.
"I am really grateful to all our customers as it's thanks to their support we've come so far again.
- 1 Taser video: Officer's actions which left man with injuries 'deemed appropriate'
- 2 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 3 History buffs celebrate town's historic buildings
- 4 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 5 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
- 6 'Important milestone' reached in building of John Barker Place
- 7 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 8 Hitchin's Repair Café wants you!
- 9 As sewage saga continues, how did our MPs vote?
- 10 Council approves new measures to get to net zero by 2030
"We are now really excited about the challenge of becoming the best in the central and south area and maybe this time the best in Britain."
The competition is run by Seafish, which was established by the government in 1981 and serves all sectors of the UK seafood industry.
The regional winners will be announced at the end of October and the overall winner will be revealed at an awards ceremony in London, on January 24, which will be hosted by celebrity chef Ainsley Harriot.