THE RAF is encouraging a school football team to reach for the skies. The airforce has sponsored the Year 10 football team at Thomas Alleyne School in Stevenage as part of a team-building programme. The team, which plays in the quarter final of the coun
THE RAF is encouraging a school football team to reach for the skies.
The airforce has sponsored the Year 10 football team at Thomas Alleyne School in Stevenage as part of a team-building programme.
The team, which plays in the quarter final of the county cup today (Thursday) against Stevenage rivals Marriotts School, will be wearing a new kit sponsored by the airforce.
RAF career liaison advisor Flight Sergeant Mark Smith said: "The RAF has strong links with the school and as such was nominated to benefit from our kit-sponsoring scheme. It gives me the chance to let the youngsters know how important factors associated with sport are. Fitness, teamwork, communication and discipline are all vital elements we look for in our personnel."
Lisa Goodship, head of physical education and performance at the school, said: "We have been working closely with the RAF for the last couple of years with our sixth form, teaching the importance of teamwork and cooperation. We wanted to extend this to our younger pupils, many of whom are interested in the armed forces."
The school has benefited from the RAF's career advice and team-building exercises such as a "spider's web" which pupils negotiate with one another's help. It also plans to set up an assault course exercise at the school soon.
- 1 Woman pleads guilty to smashing bottles of booze worth £10,000
- 2 College releases statement after medical incident sparks social media rumours
- 3 A1(M) closed in both directions due to fallen cables
- 4 Omicron variant: Confirmed case in Hertfordshire says health boss Jim McManus
- 5 Bubble tea emporium opens in Stevenage
- 6 Closures lifted on A1(M) after emergency services deem road safe
- 7 Men sentenced after guns and class A drugs uncovered at Ickleford property
- 8 MP registers another job despite Owen Paterson fallout
- 9 Stevenage MP earns over £4,000 per month from other jobs
- 10 Icon building planning appeal quashed after High Court review
The kit sponsorship is part of a nationwide RAF programme with schools and colleges.