High Court hears Hitchin scrapyard challenge
AN APPEAL challenging a decision to not impose restrictions on a scrapyard is being heard today (Thursday).
Herts County Council is appealing the outcome of a hearing held in March, where the High Court ruled that a decision by the secretary of state to impose no restrictions on Metal and Waste Recycling in Hitchin should not be reversed.
If the appeal this time round is successful, then the secretary of state may have to re-look at the case.
It follows years of campaigning from residents near the site, who claim it affects their quality of life.
A decision is expected to be made after the evidence is heard.
See next week’s Comet for more.
- 1 More than 80 vacancies up for grabs at Stevenage Airbus
- 2 Stevenage Iceland to permanently close today
- 3 Emergency services attend crash near busy Stevenage roundabout
- 4 Airbus: Stevenage's out of this world impact on space missions over seven decades
- 5 Man charged with GBH after stabbing in Hitchin
- 6 Woman sentenced after Aldi bottle smashing spree
- 7 Man injured police officers while being arrested for drug offences
- 8 A brief history of Fairfield: One of Bedfordshire's newest towns
- 9 Our Bedfordshire villages: 'Rural reporting has been my greatest pleasure'
- 10 Positives and progress continue at Hartlepool with Tisdale happy with Boro's point