Hertfordshire MEP warns of cat crisis during Hitchin visit
- Credit: Archant
Hertfordshire is facing a ‘cat crisis’ which threatens to overwhelm the financial resources of the area’s RSPCA branch, according to a Euro MP.
Hertfordshire is facing a ‘cat crisis’ which threatens to overwhelm the area’s RSPCA branch, according to a Euro MP.
East of England MEP Richard Howitt visited a RSPCA Herts East branch charity shop in Hitchin to discuss the issue.
Afterwards, Mr Howitt, who is also vice president of the national animal protection body, said: “The rescued kittens I’ve been told about need loving homes but there needs to be much more awareness about how to keep a cat as a pet.
“Christmas time is one of the busiest for the RSPCA for animal abandonments.
“Herts East branch needs the public’s help as the main problem is a lack of donations – most people do not know the branch exists.
“The RSPCA here is under great pressure as the number of abandoned cats and kittens continues to rise.
- 1 Licence review for Hitchin's Chicken George after neighbour complaint
- 2 'He lives on in the hearts of those who knew him' - hundreds pay respects to Kajetan at moving mass
- 3 Former company boss fined after illegal waste dumped at quarry
- 4 Bid to find living kidney transplant donor for Hitchin girl
- 5 Permanent parking loss if outdoor seating plans approved
- 6 Decision on controversial Lord Lister application deferred
- 7 Hitchin Lavender named the most Instagrammed floral location in UK
- 8 Stevenage school in 'area of huge deprivation' wins national award
- 9 Herts police officers shared rape 'jokes' and bestiality porn on WhatsApp
- 10 Stevenage fun day in aid of TRACKS Autism
“The advice is not to wait until your cat has a first litter but to have it neutered as soon as it reaches four months.
“The RSPCA is doing a wonderful job but needs everyone’s help in learning how best to care for pets.
“I’m working hard in the European Parliament to ensure it is an effective voice for animal welfare.”
For more information visit www.rspcahertseast.org.uk.