Appeal for witnesses to Stevenage gang attack which left victim needing emergency surgery


- Credit: Archant

Witnesses are being sought to a gang attack on a man who was repeatedly kicked so hard in the head he thought he was going to die and was left needing emergency surgery.

The back of the man's neck after the attack.

The back of the man's neck after the attack. - Credit: Archant

A 22-year-old man, who has asked not to be named, had been enjoying a night out in Stevenage with his partner when he was attacked by a gang. He said: “We had gone for a few drinks at Bar and Beyond on Stevenage Leisure Park, because that’s where we first met, and at 1.30am we decided to go home.

“We walked past Hollywood Bowl and through the underpass that leads to Symonds Green. I felt a thump to the back of my head and then got hit a few more times. I fell to the floor.

“My missus was getting pushed about but managed to get down and protect my head, because they kept stamping on me and kicking me in the head.

“I thought I wasn’t going to survive, or would at least have brain damage.” Luckily, somebody called the police and the victim was taken to hospital. He said: “I had to have emergency plastic surgery because my lip was hanging off. It was horrible. I also had to go for brain scans and missed a week off work due to concussion.

You may also want to watch:

“The people who beat me up looked about 16 or 17 years old and there were at least 12 of them, with some wearing balaclavas. I think they just did it for a laugh.”

The assault happened at about 2am on Sunday, June 10, and the victim is keen the attackers are found to prevent anybody else suffering a similar ordeal.

Most Read

He says he has recovered well physically, but the mental scars will take longer to heal. “My partner suffers from anxiety anyway, so she’s really struggling,” he said.

A spokesman for Herts police said: “We are appealing for information and witnesses.

“The assault happened in an underpass between the leisure park and Watson Road.

“The group assaulted the male victim, punching him in the face and kicking him in the head.

“The female victim tried to intervene but was pushed to the floor, causing her to sustain cuts and bruises.

“The offenders then made off in the direction of Fairview Road.

“If you saw a large group of men in the area on that night, or have any further information that could assist police, please call 101 quoting crime reference 41/6087/18.”

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter