Hero police dog Finn wows the crowds at Crufts
- Credit: Archant
Heroic Herts police officer PC Dave Wardell and his police dog Finn were honoured by being invited to parade at the UK’s largest dog show last weekend.
Both PC Wardell and Finn received stab injuries while chasing a suspect in Stevenage last October.
German shepherd Finn received life-threatening stab wounds in the head and chest but miraculously recovered after intensive surgery, and is now back patrolling with PC Wardell.
Finn and PC Wardell were both invited along to Crufts at Birmingham’s NEC to parade in front of the audience as part of the Good Citizen Dog Scheme Ring Programme 2017.
PC Wardell said of the experience: “Four days on and Finn and I are still riding the wave of excitement from Crufts at the weekend.
You may also want to watch:
“Put simply, it is the gold standard of dog shows – the biggest, the best and in my view, the most enjoyable show the world over.
“It was amazing to meet so many people who were so supportive of the work we do as police officers – and the work our four-legged partners do with us to protect the communities we belong to.
- 1 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 2 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 3 Resident with disabilities 'embarrassed' after council disposes of wheelchair
- 4 Letchworth and Baldock Sergeant set to retire after two decades in Herts
- 5 Plans drawn up to reduce places at primary schools due to surplus
- 6 Mum's disability disco after son's left nowhere to go
- 7 Bowling alley refurb celebrated in Hollywood style
- 8 Stevenage in UK's top 25 for community spirit
- 9 6 of the best places to hot tub in and around Hertfordshire
- 10 Council leader speaks out after terrifying harassment incident at her home
“Finn enjoyed every moment – and I enjoyed it because of this.
“It’s a truly an amazing event and an honour to have been invited to be a small part of it.”
PC Wardell and his friends have been fundraising to pay for the training of a new police dog puppy, which they intend to call Finn.
They have managed to raise the £5,000 total needed to train the new police dog, which is set to be chosen from a litter of puppies imminently.
PC Wardell will also be attending a special annual fundraising curry night for Guide Dogs, a charity close to his heart, at the Raj Mahal in High Street Stevenage on April 4.
There are still some tickets left for that evening if you’re interested in attending. They cost £22 and can be purchased in advance – call 07977 411797 or send an email to email@example.com.