Henlow soldier pleads guilty to knifepoint rape
- Credit: Archant
A serving soldier from Henlow has pleaded guilty to raping a woman at knifepoint.
Jamal Jackson – of Whitworth-Jones Avenue – pleaded guilty to the rape, which happened on October 15 last year, when he appeared at Luton Crown Court on Thursday.
The 27-year-old has been remanded in custody ahead of sentencing on April 19.
Det Insp Emma Langwith, of the Bedfordshire Police Emerald unit, said: “I’m pleased that Jackson has pleaded guilty, which will save his victim from having to undergo the further trauma of a trial, and I hope he receives an appropriate sentence for his abhorrent actions.
“Rape and serious sexual offences will not be tolerated and we’d like to reassure victims that if you come forward to us then you will be supported and justice can be done.
You may also want to watch:
“Our Emerald team not only thoroughly investigates all reports of sexual offences, we also ensure that victims are appropriately safeguarded and supported.”
A second officer, Det Con Karl Heywood, described the offence as “heinous”.
- 1 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 2 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
- 3 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 4 Man charged with robbery after being tracked down by PD Luther
- 5 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 6 Free parking in Stevenage High Street will remain
- 7 Council leader speaks out after terrifying harassment incident at her home
- 8 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 9 Man charged in connection with newsagent robbery
- 10 Hotel apologises after losing crucial CCTV
Victims of rape and sexual assault can receive support and guidance from Bedfordshire Police and partner agencies including the Sexual Assault Referral Centre, as well as support through the criminal investigation process.
Victims can report incidents to police by calling 101 or online at bedfordshire.police.uk/report/Report-Shared/Report-a-crime. Always call 999 in an emergency.