Can you help save North Herts’ trees during the coronavirus pandemic?
- Credit: Archant
North Herts District Council is encouraging residents to help newly planted trees on road verges and in parks, by giving them a drink of water.
The council is supporting a national campaign to save young trees during the dry summer months, as contractors who ordinarily water them are not available due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
NHDC is encouraging residents to get involved and water newly planted trees – which can be identified as being supported by wooden stakes with tree guards around them.
Information posters will be placed on noticeboards in towns and parks to raise awareness for the campaign.
Cllr Steve Jarvis, NHDC’s executive member for environment said: “Trees need proper aftercare to be able to survive to maturity. Without receiving enough water to sustain them, they will die.
“This is a great way that residents of all ages can get involved in helping nature during these difficult times. Nurturing young trees by recycling water in this way will help the trees to grow, benefiting local wildlife and helping to fight climate change for many years to come.”
Top tips include:
- 1 Tranquil Turtle officially opens with dazzling launch event
- 2 Dangerous paedophile jailed for sexual abuse of vulnerable girl
- 3 Serious collision on A602 injures four
- 4 Icon building planning appeal quashed after High Court review
- 5 Christmas markets return to Hitchin
- 6 Man charged with multiple burglaries after police chase
- 7 Here are the new Covid travel rules which begin today
- 8 Care home excited to open its doors to new residents
- 9 Butts Close: A monument to medieval Hitchin
- 10 Items from Lidl and Sainsbury's recalled over health and safety concerns
• Water regularly during dry periods with as much as you can – every little helps
• Where possible, water should be sustianably sourced – bath water, or water that has been used for washing up is suitable.
• The best time to water is in the early morning or evening
• If the tree has a watering tube, then half of the water should be poured down the tube and the other half on the ground surface near the base of the tree.