Can you help save North Herts’ trees during the coronavirus pandemic?
- Credit: Archant
North Herts District Council is encouraging residents to help newly planted trees on road verges and in parks, by giving them a drink of water.
The council is supporting a national campaign to save young trees during the dry summer months, as contractors who ordinarily water them are not available due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
NHDC is encouraging residents to get involved and water newly planted trees – which can be identified as being supported by wooden stakes with tree guards around them.
Information posters will be placed on noticeboards in towns and parks to raise awareness for the campaign.
Cllr Steve Jarvis, NHDC’s executive member for environment said: “Trees need proper aftercare to be able to survive to maturity. Without receiving enough water to sustain them, they will die.
You may also want to watch:
“This is a great way that residents of all ages can get involved in helping nature during these difficult times. Nurturing young trees by recycling water in this way will help the trees to grow, benefiting local wildlife and helping to fight climate change for many years to come.”
Top tips include:
- 1 How many people in Stevenage were fined for breaking COVID-19 laws?
- 2 The Market Theatre could be axed as plan for flats is drawn up
- 3 SG1 regeneration officially under way as holding direction is lifted
- 4 Long-term flooding fix earmarked for major Stevenage road
- 5 Confirmation that Stevenage Five Guys restaurant is coming soon
- 6 Hitchin schoolboy Alex Kirk signs professional deal with Arsenal
- 7 Do you have memories of Stevenage's Bowes Lyon skate park for history book?
- 8 Warning as more residents targeted by scam police calls
- 9 TV, motocross and quad bikes stolen in Stevenage burglary
- 10 The hospice nurses administering COVID-19 vaccine in nearby care home
• Water regularly during dry periods with as much as you can – every little helps
• Where possible, water should be sustianably sourced – bath water, or water that has been used for washing up is suitable.
• The best time to water is in the early morning or evening
• If the tree has a watering tube, then half of the water should be poured down the tube and the other half on the ground surface near the base of the tree.