Help offered to work out entitlement to council tax and rent relief
AN easy-to-use tool is being issued by local councils helping residents work out whether they are entitled to assistance with council tax and rent payments. The simple chart, covering all ages and council tax bands, shows income levels that may be low en
AN easy-to-use tool is being issued by local councils helping residents work out whether they are entitled to assistance with council tax and rent payments.
The simple chart, covering all ages and council tax bands, shows income levels that may be low enough to qualify for relief.
It is based on circumstances including the number of adults and children in a household and whether they are working or not.
The ready reckoner has being launched jointly by Herts County Council and all 10 district councils.
You may also want to watch:
It is being distributed throughout schools to every child aged under 11 and will be widely available at public places and on council websites.
Terry Hone, North Herts District Council's deputy leader and finance portfolio holder, said: "We are concerned that some residents may not be aware that they may be entitled to help with their council tax and/or rent. We want to make sure everyone gets the help they are entitled to, especially in these difficult financial times.
- 1 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 2 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
- 3 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 4 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 5 Man charged with robbery after being tracked down by PD Luther
- 6 Free parking in Stevenage High Street will remain
- 7 Council leader speaks out after terrifying harassment incident at her home
- 8 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 9 How well do you know Letchworth? Take our quiz to find out
- 10 Man charged in connection with newsagent robbery
"Using the ready reckoner, a customer can look at their weekly income, compare it to their weekly council tax and/or rent and can see at a glance if they may qualify for any benefits."
The ready reckoner is a guide only and if having used it any resident feels that they may be entitled, they should contact their council to complete a full application that can then be fully assessed.