Help Herts Angels volunteers bring Xmas cheer to children and the elderly in Stevenage
- Credit: Archant
A group of volunteers from Stevenage is preparing to bring some much needed Christmas cheer to children in hospital and the elderly in care homes, but they need your help.
Herts Angels is now collecting donations so it can buy Christmas gifts to take to children on wards at The Lister Hospital in Stevenage and to old folk at Pine Lodge nursing home.
The ‘little smiles xmas surprise’ will see Santa and his elves delivering gifts to the hospital’s Bluebell ward and to Stevenage’s Pinelodge care home.
Max Taylor who founded Herts Angels said: “I decided to start Herts Angels charity events to help spread smiles to those in need.
“The holidays are never nice for anyone to be in hospitals and homes, however, for young people and elderly and those living with mental illnesses, it’s so much worse.
“The kids want to be around the tree at Christmas with their parents ripping into gifts and the elderly want to be with their children and grandchildren doing the same. If they can’t be home for Christmas, we will bring Christmas to them.”
Max added: “We are in need of donations. We are looking at raising a total of £500 to buy 50 gifts with. We are also accepting gifts as donations. We do ask that all donated gifts are new in their boxes and contain no small parts. This is to ensure that contamination and choking hazards and illuminated.
- 1 Recap: Wire damage disrupts Hitchin and Peterborough trains
- 2 Residents show 'strong support' for TK Maxx relocation plans
- 3 Red panda Tilly gives birth to ‘miracle’ cub at Paradise Wildlife Park one month after passing of partner Nam Pang
- 4 11-year-old left with facial injuries after Stevenage dog attack
- 5 Ashbottom Close 'altercation' leaves man in his 20s with serious injuries
- 6 Three rail and bus strikes in London and the East this week
- 7 'Hitchin is the only place I've felt accepted'
- 8 Thameslink passengers urged to delay travel until later due to 'incidents'
- 9 Captain uses his head but Stevenage make win over Rochdale harder than it should have been
- 10 Ford Focus and Vauxhall Insignia crash on A602 Stevenage Road
“We are also in need of volunteers. We have teams that are raising funds by putting on bake sales, car boot sales, contacting potential sponsors, handing out flyers and much more. We can always use extra help though! If anyone wants to get involved please get in touch.”
Last Easter the group took donations of Easter eggs and gifts to children and dressed in costumes to entertain them.
Their donations were gratefully received by children and staff on the ward.
You can donate to the Xmas surprise by visiting the Herts Angels’ Just Giving page here.
Or contact Herts Angels through its Facebook page if you want to donate gifts, get involved and volunteer to dress up in costume. The visits will take place in mid December.