Healthy Hitchin hero Jonathan makes magazine’s list
- Credit: Archant
A Hitchin man is one of five men recognised as a health hero in the latest issue of a national magazine.
Jonathan Benson, above, was picked to be a Men’s Health magazine Health Hero from a shortlist of 150 people after telling of his battle against Crohn’s Disease.
He said: “At the age of 20 I decided to turn my life around. I stopped smoking 20 a day and playing video games – and instead started cycling to work, eating healthily and training hard.
“As I was getting into good shape I was diagnosed with Crohn’s, a debilitating condition of the digestive and auto-immune systems.
“There’s no cure and sufferers lose days and weeks to fever and pain. But instead of taking the drugs recommended by doctors I found the specific carbohydrate diet. I’ve avoided having part of my colon removed, and I go to the gym six times a week.”
Read the full feature in the October issue of Men’s Health, on sale from today.
- 1 BID releases official statement after cancelling Christmas lights switch-on
- 2 Tranmere Rovers against Stevenage off after Storm Arwen damage
- 3 Yellow warning for snow and wind in Herts as Storm Arwen sweeps in
- 4 Villagers left waiting over an hour in cold for Arriva buses demand better service
- 5 15 adorable rescue pets in Hertfordshire looking for loving new homes this Christmas
- 6 Hertfordshire zoo Paradise Wildlife Park to temporarily close to the public in January
- 7 Driver assaulted in racially aggravated attack following car crash
- 8 Hitchin named as happiest place to live in the East of England
- 9 How Hertfordshire’s coronavirus figures compare to last year's lockdown
- 10 Stevenage Christmas lights switch-on: All you need to know