Healthy Hitchin hero Jonathan makes magazine’s list
- Credit: Archant
A Hitchin man is one of five men recognised as a health hero in the latest issue of a national magazine.
Jonathan Benson, above, was picked to be a Men’s Health magazine Health Hero from a shortlist of 150 people after telling of his battle against Crohn’s Disease.
He said: “At the age of 20 I decided to turn my life around. I stopped smoking 20 a day and playing video games – and instead started cycling to work, eating healthily and training hard.
“As I was getting into good shape I was diagnosed with Crohn’s, a debilitating condition of the digestive and auto-immune systems.
“There’s no cure and sufferers lose days and weeks to fever and pain. But instead of taking the drugs recommended by doctors I found the specific carbohydrate diet. I’ve avoided having part of my colon removed, and I go to the gym six times a week.”
You may also want to watch:
Read the full feature in the October issue of Men’s Health, on sale from today.
- 1 Woman trapped in car after colliding with tree on A602
- 2 A602 remains partially shut in Stevenage after crash
- 3 Appeal to save Astonbury Wood is successful
- 4 Residents consulted on redevelopment of Letchworth's Hawksley bungalows
- 5 Stevenage schoolboy wins national chef award
- 6 Developer appointed for new Baldock neighbourhoods
- 7 Man jailed after attacking victim with glass bottle in hotel room
- 8 Special needs school's urgent appeal for swim helpers
- 9 Armed Forces Day 2021: Great day promised with pop-up museum and Spitfire fly-past
- 10 Stevenage Borough Juniors crowned national champions after tense victory