He rode thataway! Cycle crook pedals off to snatch £650 prize from Stevenage bike shop
- Credit: Archant
A customer walked into a bike shop in Stevenage, took his time to eye up his favourite machine, then calmly saddled up and made his getaway on a £650 machine.
Staff at Contour Cycles couldn’t believe the cheek of the thief who carefully picked a time when they were all busy serving customers.
Mechanic Jamie Lee said: “He came in the shop, looked at a bike and waited for an opportunity to steal it.
“He then pulled it out and rode off. We didn’t notice anything until it was too late, which is really frustrating.”
The thief helped himself to the black and red Giant Roam mountain bike from the shop in Broadwater Crescent at around 1.30pm last Tuesday afternoon.
When Jamie and his colleagues realised what the man had done, they quickly called the police and looked back through their CCTV recording – which revealed the daylight robbery.
Jamie said: “Because of where the camera is placed you couldn’t get a great view of the guy’s face.
- 1 BID releases official statement after cancelling Christmas lights switch-on
- 2 Tranmere Rovers against Stevenage off after Storm Arwen damage
- 3 Yellow warning for snow and wind in Herts as Storm Arwen sweeps in
- 4 Villagers left waiting over an hour in cold for Arriva buses demand better service
- 5 15 adorable rescue pets in Hertfordshire looking for loving new homes this Christmas
- 6 Hertfordshire zoo Paradise Wildlife Park to temporarily close to the public in January
- 7 Hitchin named as happiest place to live in the East of England
- 8 Driver assaulted in racially aggravated attack following car crash
- 9 Stevenage Christmas lights switch-on: All you need to know
- 10 How Hertfordshire’s coronavirus figures compare to last year's lockdown
“But we’d ask anyone who has been offered a bike matching the description of the one which was stolen, or knows the person who stole it, to contact the police.”