He rode thataway! Cycle crook pedals off to snatch £650 prize from Stevenage bike shop
- Credit: Archant
A customer walked into a bike shop in Stevenage, took his time to eye up his favourite machine, then calmly saddled up and made his getaway on a £650 machine.
Staff at Contour Cycles couldn’t believe the cheek of the thief who carefully picked a time when they were all busy serving customers.
Mechanic Jamie Lee said: “He came in the shop, looked at a bike and waited for an opportunity to steal it.
“He then pulled it out and rode off. We didn’t notice anything until it was too late, which is really frustrating.”
The thief helped himself to the black and red Giant Roam mountain bike from the shop in Broadwater Crescent at around 1.30pm last Tuesday afternoon.
When Jamie and his colleagues realised what the man had done, they quickly called the police and looked back through their CCTV recording – which revealed the daylight robbery.
Jamie said: “Because of where the camera is placed you couldn’t get a great view of the guy’s face.
- 1 Driver arrested as Audi crashes into parked vehicles in Hitchin
- 2 Car crashes with pedestrian on A602 Stevenage Road
- 3 Five teenagers arrested following 'violent disorder' in Stevenage
- 4 7 of the most beautiful churches in Hertfordshire
- 5 Plans approved for former Stevenage bus station site
- 6 A1(M) closed in both directions near Letchworth
- 7 Mental health crisis café to open in Stevenage
- 8 Plans for second multi-storey car park at Stevenage's Lister Hospital to help 'better meet demand'
- 9 Award-winning Hitchin nursery celebrates bumper year for staff
- 10 Three arrested after cannabis, cash and phones seized
“But we’d ask anyone who has been offered a bike matching the description of the one which was stolen, or knows the person who stole it, to contact the police.”