Have your say on parking issues in Letchworth
- Credit: Archant
A public consultation event is being held to discuss parking issues in Letchworth.
North Herts District Council is holding the event at the Spirella Building next Thursday, June 25, to gauge any issues people living in the town my have with parking.
The district council is considering whether to make changes in the area which may include residents’ parking permits, as well as single and double yellow lines.
Parking problems in the town were discussed by councillors at last week’s Letchworth Area Committee meeting.
Councillor Clare Billing, who represents the Letchworth Grange ward, said: “There is a real problem with parking on the Grange, which will only get worse with a potential 1,000-home development.”
Fellow Letchworth Grange ward councillor Sandra Lunn said: “It is very hard, especially for visitors, to find adequate parking in the Grange.”
Council leader Lynda Needham, who represents the Letchworth South West ward, said: “While I completely sympathise with the problems with the Grange, the Wilbury ward area also has a significant shortage of places to park.”
- 1 11-year-old boy 'seriously injured' after e-scooter and car crash
- 2 Weston fraudster given jail time after scamming council out of £700,000
- 3 Licence review for Hitchin's Chicken George after neighbour complaint
- 4 Programme of one-off summer workshops at The Settlement
- 5 Crowds gather to mark Armed Forces Day in Letchworth
- 6 Bid to find living kidney transplant donor for Hitchin girl
- 7 'He lives on in the hearts of those who knew him' - hundreds pay respects to Kajetan at moving mass
- 8 Avid quizmaster raising funds for rape and sexual assault support service
- 9 Stevenage woman, 52, accused of wounding 91-year-old in her own home
- 10 Decision on controversial Lord Lister application deferred
Councillor David Levett, who represents the Letchworth South East ward, said: “The problem is that people are legally allowed to park where they want on the areas in question.
“Many of the people parking in the areas which are adversely affected don’t live there.”
Letchworth Area Committee chairman Mike Rice said: “Letchworth was not designed for cars originally and we don’t want to lose all the open green space in the town.”
A spokesman for the district council said: “We are very interested in your views on parking in your area, so please come to our event.
“Council staff will be on hand to answer questions and listen to your feedback and we look forward to seeing you.”
For more information on next Thursday’s event – which runs between 5pm and 9pm – call Naima Ihsan on 01462 474425.