Have your say on parking issues in Letchworth
- Credit: Archant
A public consultation event is being held to discuss parking issues in Letchworth.
North Herts District Council is holding the event at the Spirella Building next Thursday, June 25, to gauge any issues people living in the town my have with parking.
The district council is considering whether to make changes in the area which may include residents’ parking permits, as well as single and double yellow lines.
Parking problems in the town were discussed by councillors at last week’s Letchworth Area Committee meeting.
Councillor Clare Billing, who represents the Letchworth Grange ward, said: “There is a real problem with parking on the Grange, which will only get worse with a potential 1,000-home development.”
You may also want to watch:
Fellow Letchworth Grange ward councillor Sandra Lunn said: “It is very hard, especially for visitors, to find adequate parking in the Grange.”
Council leader Lynda Needham, who represents the Letchworth South West ward, said: “While I completely sympathise with the problems with the Grange, the Wilbury ward area also has a significant shortage of places to park.”
- 1 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 2 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 3 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 4 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 5 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 6 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 7 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 8 How well do you know Letchworth? Take our quiz to find out
- 9 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 10 Knebworth's Jamie Rutherford lands Tour Championship with dramatic final round
Councillor David Levett, who represents the Letchworth South East ward, said: “The problem is that people are legally allowed to park where they want on the areas in question.
“Many of the people parking in the areas which are adversely affected don’t live there.”
Letchworth Area Committee chairman Mike Rice said: “Letchworth was not designed for cars originally and we don’t want to lose all the open green space in the town.”
A spokesman for the district council said: “We are very interested in your views on parking in your area, so please come to our event.
“Council staff will be on hand to answer questions and listen to your feedback and we look forward to seeing you.”
For more information on next Thursday’s event – which runs between 5pm and 9pm – call Naima Ihsan on 01462 474425.