Have you sauntered round this spectacular Stevenage landmark? Well, now’s your chance
- Credit: Archant
One of Stevenage’s heritage highlights is not as familiar as it should be to many in North Herts – but now there’s a chance to put that right.
Shephalbury Manor, once the home of the Heathcote family and put to a number of other uses before becoming an international hub of the Coptic Church in the UK, is a grand Victorian pile with many period features still intact – and it also now features a cathedral in the grounds.
The house which stands on the site was built for Unwin Heathcote and designed by architect and civil engineer T. Roger Smith.
This year the main house set back from Broadhall Way and within earshot of Stevenage FC’s Lamex Stadium marks its 150th birthday and to celebrate the occasion a special open day is being held on Sunday, April 26.
The free event will feature tours of the Cathedral of Saint George and the manor house, a photography exhibition arranged by the team at Stevenage Museum, and a chance to find out more about the work being done by the Coptic community.
You may also want to watch:
Mayor of Stevenage Sherma Batson said: “Shephalbury Manor has played an important part in the history of Stevenage and this open day is a fantastic chance for people to learn more the history of the site, as well as find out what happens there now.”
His Grace Bishop Angaelos, general bishop of the Coptic Orthodox Church in the UK, added: “Shephalbury Manor is a core part of the history and heritage of Stevenage and we are inviting the community to take part in celebrating that heritage with us.”
- 1 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 2 Man taken to hospital after crash involving mobility scooter and motorhome
- 3 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash
- 4 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 5 Letchworth paedophile jailed for sexual activity with a child
- 6 Primary school's new garden has 'positive effect on wellbeing and learning'
- 7 Child abuse investigation dropped after hotel lost CCTV
- 8 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 9 Opening of long-awaited Stevenage supermarket
- 10 Halloween trail set for Letchworth this half term
Along with the Celebrate Your Manor open day, on St George’s Day itself – Thursday, April 23 – a service will be held in the cathedral presided by Bishop Angaelos and attended by civic dignitaries and ecumenical guests, along with members of the wider Stevenage community.
To find out more about the work of the Coptic Church visit www.copticcentre.com.