Harrow Court: Coroner to make 94 recommendations
HERTFORDSHIRE coroner Mr Edward Thomas said he would be making 94 recommendations at the end of the inquest into the Harrow Court blaze that killed Stevenage firefighters Michael Miller, 26, and Jeff Wornham, 28, and flat 85 resident Natalie Close, 35, in
HERTFORDSHIRE coroner Mr Edward Thomas said he would be making 94 recommendations at the end of the inquest into the Harrow Court blaze that killed Stevenage firefighters Michael Miller, 26, and Jeff Wornham, 28, and flat 85 resident Natalie Close, 35, in February, 2005.
He is expected to make several recommendations to the government about the sale; manufacture and use of tea lights, small candles in thin metal holders investigators say were responsible for the tragedy.
Fire investigators say two tea lights left on the TV in the bedroom of flat 85 melted through the plastic casing igniting the TV and causing a blaze that engulfed the entire room.
The jury will hear the recommendations during his summing up after almost nine days of evidence on Thursday. A verdict is expected on Friday.
You may also want to watch:
The senior officer who was in command of the fire investigation told the inquest on Wednesday of the vast amount of material that had been used to reach their conclusions, not just about the fire but how the fire crews tackled the blaze.
Assistant chief fire officer Roger Day said his investigation team worked full time for a year and had sifted through 24,000 CCTV picture from the 12 cameras in Harrow Court and their final report covered 70,000 words.
- 1 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 2 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 3 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 4 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 5 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 6 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 7 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 8 How well do you know Letchworth? Take our quiz to find out
- 9 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 10 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
"We wanted the report to be honest and present the facts as to what went wrong on the night in an attempt to prevent an event like this happening again," said Mr Day.