H&M to open in Stevenage
- Credit: Archant
Fashion retailer H&M is set to open its new store in Comet country on Thursday.
It is hoped the Stevenage branch in the town’s Westgate Shopping Centre will be the catalyst that helps revitalise the town centre.
Peter Everest, managing director of WD Ltd, which owns Westgate, said: “The opening of H&M’s first store in Stevenage is a real vote of confidence in the town as a key regional shopping destination.
“This is just the first of many exciting proposals WD plans to make.
“We’re looking forward to further major store openings, such as bonmarché, which will be opening soon [April 17] next to H&M.”
You may also want to watch:
He added: “With the right planning and support we can bring a revival in fortunes to Stevenage town centre.”
The H&M store has created about 20 new jobs and will occupy a sales area of about 1,500 square metres spread over two floors, offering collections for women, men, teens and children.
- 1 Taser video: Officer's actions which left man with injuries 'deemed appropriate'
- 2 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 3 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 4 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 5 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 6 Hitchin's Repair Café wants you!
- 7 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 8 Annual Pride of Stevenage Awards celebrate our local heroes
- 9 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 10 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
Sharon Taylor, leader of Stevenage Borough Council, said: “H&M coming to Stevenage is a great sign of the vibrancy of our town centre.
“Despite a major recession, Stevenage has retained the vast majority of its stores.”
She said attracting the major high street chain to Stevenage will hopefully have a “snowball effect”, attracting other major retailers to the town.
Cllr Taylor also said a £1 million investment from the council will be used “to improve the public parts of the town centre to match the retail side of things”.
She added: “We are working day and night to make sure our town centre is as exciting and vibrant as it was when it was first built.
“We will do as much as we can to make people excited about Stevenage again.”
H&M will open its doors at 11am on Thursday and anyone in the queue prior to opening will receive 25% off in store on the day.