Gulls swoop for Christie
Torquay United have rescued Iyseden Christie after Stevenage Boro released the striker from his contract at The Lamex Stadium. The 32-year-old striker had seen a move to Kettering Town fall through earlier this month after a loan spell there and Boro wer
Torquay United have rescued Iyseden Christie after Stevenage Boro released the striker from his contract at The Lamex Stadium.
The 32-year-old striker had seen a move to Kettering Town fall through earlier this month after a loan spell there and Boro were desperate to get the player off their wage bill.
Torquay boss Paul Buckle made his move and revealed his delight in securing the former Leyton Orient hitman's services.
"I'm delighted, we are getting a player with a wealth of experience and his record speaks for itself," he told the club's official website.
"He has scored goals everywhere he has been and, like Tim Sills, his knowledge and ability can only be a positive for the team. It will also benefit the younger players to have another experienced player around to learn from."
Christie admitted he didn't take long deliberating over the move after learning he didn't have a future at Boro.
- 1 Emergency services attend crash near busy Stevenage roundabout
- 2 Man charged with GBH after stabbing in Hitchin
- 3 Man injured police officers while being arrested for drug offences
- 4 Looking to local talent - Airbus star rises from apprentice to manager
- 5 Two reports of indecent exposure in Stevenage
- 6 Ian Stewart's sons say 'devastated father was in tears at wife's death'
- 7 Stevenage Iceland to permanently close today
- 8 Will housing expand into Green Belt land near Hitchin?
- 9 Why were they not at school? - a look at Hitchin's historical absence reports
- 10 'He was a good friend of Knebworth' - Knebworth House pays tribute to Bat Out of Hell singer Meat Loaf
"Things moved very quickly last week and once I knew the club were interested in me it didn't take long to make my mind up and I'm very glad to be here.
"I'm looking forward to helping Torquay try and get back into the Football League. I've been brought here for my experience and my scoring record, Paul knows enough about me to know what I can do and players of my age (32) are still in the game because they are doing a good job.