Gritting crews going out in Hertfordshire as ice and snow threaten road users
GRITTING teams will be out in Hertfordshire tonight (Tuesday) as temperatures drop below zero, with the possibility of snow in the morning. Forecasts indicate ice patches forming in the evening, with a hoar frost overnight and the possibility of light sno
GRITTING teams will be out in Hertfordshire tonight (Tuesday) as temperatures drop below zero, with the possibility of snow in the morning.
Forecasts indicate ice patches forming in the evening, with a hoar frost overnight and the possibility of light snow during the morning rush hour.
"Our gritting crews keep a constant eye on the latest weather forecasts so that - where possible - salting is carried out before freezing conditions occur," said Stuart Pile, county council executive member for highways and transport.
"However, we ask road users to take extra care in these conditions and allow more time for journeys. Remember, you cannot always see that the road is icy - leave plenty of room between you and the vehicle in front, steer and brake very gently and reduce your overall speed."
You may also want to watch:
He added: "I'd also like to reassure residents that we have plenty of salt in stock and are fully prepared for winter weather, contrary to claims in the national media that there is a salt shortage. At present, we have enough salt for 60 normal gritting runs and our suppliers have informed us that they are not anticipating any shortages.
- 1 Taser video: Officer's actions which left man with injuries 'deemed appropriate'
- 2 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 3 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 4 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 5 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 6 Hitchin's Repair Café wants you!
- 7 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 8 Annual Pride of Stevenage Awards celebrate our local heroes
- 9 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 10 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage