Green light for safety moves
TAXI drivers are keen to make known safety improvements to their industry, after The Comet exclusively revealed the substantial serious criminal convictions of a number of current cab drivers. Andy Gearing, a Transport and General Workers Union representa
TAXI drivers are keen to make known safety improvements to their industry, after The Comet exclusively revealed the substantial serious criminal convictions of a number of current cab drivers.
Andy Gearing, a Transport and General Workers Union representative, said: "For the last 18 months the taxi and private hire drivers of Stevenage have worked closely with the taxi operators, Hertfordshire Constabulary and Stevenage Borough Council, via regular taxi forums, to improve the standard of service provided to the public.
"The maintenance standard of vehicles has improved and the formation of a new scheme called Cab Watch is designed to further protect the public and drivers alike."
Cab Watch is run by taxi drivers, and cabbies can join voluntarily with a view to having CCTV installed in their car and having a direct mobile phone link to the control centre at Stevenage police station.
Mr Gearing said: "Cab Watch came about in a meeting with the police. If we have any trouble we can get straight through to them. It's protection for the public and the drivers."
He added: "Once a driver changes his car, it will have to have a safety screen or CCTV fitted. This will happen next year.
- 1 Stevenage PE teacher's charity run after leg amputation
- 2 9 things to do on a day trip to Hitchin, Hertfordshire
- 3 Magpas Air Ambulance lands in Letchworth amid 'medical emergency'
- 4 'Expect delays' during week-long gas works at Stevenage roundabout
- 5 Man treated for broken jaw following Hitchin assault
- 6 Summer Sand pit opens in Stevenage
- 7 Old Town Live organisers 'overwhelmed by response'
- 8 Dog owner's grass seed warning after pet paralysed
- 9 Hertfordshire 'extreme heat' amber warning as temperature set to soar
- 10 Tottenham U21s coming back to Stevenage for 2022-2023 season
"Cab Watch started three weeks ago and we already have 30 people involved.