Green light for �39m Lister Hospital redevelopment
A MULTI-MILLION pound development which will complete the transformation of Lister Hospital has been given the green light by the Government today (Thursday).
The building of a �18.6m ward block which will house 62 patients at the Stevenage hospital has been approved by the Department of Health, alongside a theatre and endoscopy block costing �20.5m.
Work on the project will start in early 2013 and is the final part of a four-phase �150m redevelopment to get the go-ahead, which will see Lister become the main hospital for inpatient and emergency care in north, east and south Hertfordshire.
The inpatient ward block, to be built at the front of the hospital’s Coreys Mill Lane site, will consist of two floors with single ensuite rooms making up half of the available beds.
The theatre and endoscopy block will be built as an extension on to the current theatres unit towards the rear of the hospital.
You may also want to watch:
Nick Carver, chief executive of the East and North Herts NHS Trust, which runs Lister Hospital, said: “Today is a very exciting one for the Trust and its staff as it marks approval of the major project in the Lister’s final �150 million redevelopment into the main centre for inpatient and emergency care across east and north Hertfordshire, as well as parts of Bedfordshire.
“We know from the very successful changes made already to the Trust’s maternity and emergency surgery services – along with the new �19m emergency department now being built – that it is possible to redesign clinical services in ways that provide our patients with better care and improved experience, while costing less money to run.”
- 1 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 2 Taser video: Officer's actions which left man with injuries 'deemed appropriate'
- 3 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 4 As sewage saga continues, how did our MPs vote?
- 5 Hitchin's Repair Café wants you!
- 6 Singers make positive change by renaming choir
- 7 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 8 Annual Pride of Stevenage Awards celebrate our local heroes
- 9 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 10 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
Health minister Lord Earl Howe said: “The development plans for the Lister Hospital will help deliver many improvements for patients. It will mean better access to services and more joined up clinical care by bringing together more services in the same place.”
Stevenage MP Stephen McPartland added: “We are now approaching a massive investment of �150m from the Government which is transforming the Lister into one of the most modern and advanced hospitals in the UK.
“I’m proud the Lister is becoming a centre of clinical excellence and I am proud of our local NHS – this is a fantastic day for Stevenage.”