Graphic Novel Review: Mouse Guard: Legends of the Guard
Mouse Guard: Legends of the Guard
YES, the protagonists of this award-winning series are cute little mice who live in a faux-medieval world, but don’t have any preconceptions about exactly what sort of story you’ll find within its pages, as you’re likely to be completely wrongfooted.
In fact, Mouse Guard has more in common with the likes of The Lord of the Rings than any “funny animal” comic book, with creator David Petersen weaving an intricate, politically complicated world of warring territories, dangerous adversaries and brave heroes.
The Mouse Guard is an elite group of escorts, pathfinders, weather watchers, scouts and bodyguards for the mice who live among the territories in the wake of the winter war of 1149. They help find safe new routes between villages, escort the movement of goods from one town to another, and guard against any evil or threat to the territories.
You may also want to watch:
In the wake of previous volumes Autumn 1152 and Winter 1152, this latest collection moves away from the ongoing narrative to present an anthology of different tales by a selection of handpicked storytellers, including the likes of Guy Davis (BPRD), Gene Ha (Top 10) and Craif Rousseau (Impulse).
Inside the June Alley inn, located in the western mouse city of Barkstone, mice gather to tell tales and try to outdo their peers with stories of adventure, mystery and heroism. Every narrative must contain one truth, one lie and have never been told in that tavern before, and with the winner having their bar tab cleared it prompts a competition the likes of which has never been seen before…
- 1 Taser video: Officer's actions which left man with injuries 'deemed appropriate'
- 2 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 3 History buffs celebrate town's historic buildings
- 4 'Important milestone' reached in building of John Barker Place
- 5 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 6 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
- 7 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 8 Hitchin's Repair Café wants you!
- 9 Council approves new measures to get to net zero by 2030
- 10 As sewage saga continues, how did our MPs vote?
The Mouse Guard is an inspirational, engrossing fantasy epic which will eventually stand completed as one of the most remarkable comic book series of modern times, and this volume acts as the perfect introduction to Petersen’s world. Highly recommended.