Good sport Adam is warming up for retro reunion to remember in Hitchin
- Credit: Archant
Some people are only too happy to say goodbye to school PE lessons and sports days – but Adam Howard has discovered that there’s a real appetite for athletic action across North Herts.
Adam, 23, from Letchworth, is the mastermind behind Backtoschool-ival, a retro reunion event which will bring old pals back together to represent their schools one more time.
There will be rugby and netball tournaments during the day at Hitchin’s King George V playing fields on Saturday, June 6 from 11.30am to 11.30pm, and lots more to attract the crowds.
Adam, who spent his secondary school days at Knights Templar in Baldock, and is now a business development manager, said: “I just had the idea to organise a reunion with a few old friends from school and it just expanded from there, through social media and thanks to word of mouth through the community.
“I’m expecting around 700 people to turn up to the event, which is to be hosted through Hitchin Rugby Club.
“The feedback I’ve had has been fantastic. So many people have said they are really interested in coming and can’t wait for the day.
“It’s going to be a really fun day based around the tournaments – but I’m also arranging for a lot of other things for those who aren’t quite ready to dig out the old gumshield or sports top.
- 1 11-year-old boy 'seriously injured' after e-scooter and car crash
- 2 Weston fraudster given jail time after scamming council out of £700,000
- 3 Licence review for Hitchin's Chicken George after neighbour complaint
- 4 Programme of one-off summer workshops at The Settlement
- 5 'He lives on in the hearts of those who knew him' - hundreds pay respects to Kajetan at moving mass
- 6 Crowds gather to mark Armed Forces Day in Letchworth
- 7 Bid to find living kidney transplant donor for Hitchin girl
- 8 Decision on controversial Lord Lister application deferred
- 9 Herts police officers shared rape 'jokes' and bestiality porn on WhatsApp
- 10 Stevenage woman, 52, accused of wounding 91-year-old in her own home
“I’m planning on offering a retro room full of VHS video classics and some old games consoles.
“There will also be bouncy castles, zorbing, some live music and a cocktail bar.
“The music will continue into the night, with a DJ mixing it up between tunes more akin to a school disco as well as some dance/house music to get people in the mood for hitting town!
“Schools which have signed up include Fearnhill and Highfield from Letchworth, Hitchin Girls’, Hitchin Boys’ and The Priory, with John Henry Newman from Stevenage.
“It’s also about raising money for the North Herts Sanctuary and another charity to be chosen by the winning school.
“There will be plenty of opportunities to help raise funds – from buying a programme on the door, to sticking a few pounds in collection buckets.
“I wish there was more time in the day to organise it on top of my job – so if anyone wants to volunteer please get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org to see what they can do.
“I’d like everyone to come to Backtoschool-ival – whether to catch up with old pals you haven’t seen for a while, to play sport, or even to enjoy the gaming room.”