Hundreds turn out for Walks of Witness parades
- Credit: Archant
Christians across North Herts marked Good Friday with open-air acts of witness in the streets of their respective towns.
Good Friday marks the crucifixion of Jesus in Jerusalem more than two thousand years ago, with Easter Sunday celebrating his resurrection as described in the New Testament.
More than 500 people gathered in Hitchin’s Market Place, with the service led by Pastor Donald Smith of Built on Faith Apostolic Church, while Reverend Jane Robson of Tilehouse Street Baptist Church was preacher.
Organised by Hitchin’s Churches Together, ministers from all the member churches gave a blessing at the end.
Deacon Sheralee Devitt of Christchurch and Rev Ian Todd of Holy Saviour Church also took part in the service, with Zeo Church providing music.
You may also want to watch:
Elsewhere, in Stevenage, people walked from the Bowling Green in the Old Town to the Town Square.
- 1 Taser video: Officer's actions which left man with injuries 'deemed appropriate'
- 2 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 3 Hitchin's Repair Café wants you!
- 4 Annual Pride of Stevenage Awards celebrate our local heroes
- 5 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 6 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 7 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 8 Singers make positive change by renaming choir
- 9 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 10 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed