Golfing family unites to raise funds for Knebworth practice course in memory of Jack Mudd
- Credit: Archant
A memorial golf tournament will be held in memory of Stevenage teenager Jack Mudd who tragically died in a car crash aged just 19.
Jack was a gifted golfer with a promising international career but sadly lost his life in October last year.
Jack’s family and Knebworth Golf Club have created a lasting memorial to Jack in the form of a short game practice academy facility for junior golfers which can be used free of charge.
Saturday’s tournament at Stevenage Golf Centre, which will involve more than 120 golfers, will help raise cash to run the facility.
There will be a raffle on the day with some top prizes, an auction, a disco and a band.
This will follow a golf tournament, a fun golf challenge and a family event.
Jack’s dad, David Mudd, said: “It was Jack’s passion to play the game of golf.
- 1 11-year-old boy 'seriously injured' after e-scooter and car crash
- 2 Weston fraudster given jail time after scamming council out of £700,000
- 3 Lights stolen in Baldock burglary
- 4 Licence review for Hitchin's Chicken George after neighbour complaint
- 5 Crowds gather to mark Armed Forces Day in Letchworth
- 6 Programme of one-off summer workshops at The Settlement
- 7 Bid to find living kidney transplant donor for Hitchin girl
- 8 'He lives on in the hearts of those who knew him' - hundreds pay respects to Kajetan at moving mass
- 9 Avid quizmaster raising funds for rape and sexual assault support service
- 10 Our sporting stars celebrated with museum exhibition
“He was going to go to Florida to take up a scholarship so it’s fitting that the local community has recognised he was a young man who had a promising career.
“For our family there is obviously a huge gap, but it is partially filled by the fact we can see young golfers helping to fulfill their ambitions by using the short game practice area in Jack’s name.”
Jack played in many Herts Golf Union junior and Faldo series competitions. He was a student at Denis Pugh and Paul Lyons Golf College near Haywards Heath in Sussex.
David’s friend, 62-year-old Trevor Clarke, completed The Great North Run earlier this month and raised £2,000 for the fund.
To find out more about the practice area you can visit www.knebworthgolfclub.com.