Godden fires Stevenage to all three points at Accrington
- Credit: Archant
Matt Godden’s low strike helped Stevenage beat Accrington Stanley, their third successive win on the road in the league.
A goalkeeping error by Elliot Parish, who failed to stop Godden’s near-post strike, gifted Boro all three points.
In tough conditions with the game played in wind and rain the home side’s Jordan Clark saw an effort punched away by Jamie Jones before Shay McCartan’s run into the box ended with a deflected shot off target.
Omar Beckles then headed over the bar at the end of the first half.
Yet Accrington were wasteful and they were made to pay late on when Godden ran on to a ball over the defence and, after a second bounce, hit a relatively weak shot towards the near post which somehow squirmed past Parish.
You may also want to watch:
With three minutes to go Accrington got beyond the Boro back line, but with Jones running off his line John O’Sullivan wasted a golden opportunity to equalise when he hit shot straight at the Stevenage keeper who had got down low and made himself big.
The victory moved Stevenage up seven places to 13th in the League Two table.
- 1 Taser video: Officer's actions which left man with injuries 'deemed appropriate'
- 2 A505 driver escapes without serious injury after head-on crash
- 3 Arrest made and 350 cannabis plants seized after raid in Letchworth
- 4 Council criticised for 'shoddy' underpass paint job
- 5 'Important milestone' reached in building of John Barker Place
- 6 History buffs celebrate town's historic buildings
- 7 Glimpses of the past: Exploring Hitchin from 1910 - 1950
- 8 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 9 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 10 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
Up next is a trip to Portsmouth on Saturday.
Accrington: Stanley: Parish, Vyner, Beckles, Pearson, McConville, Boco, Conneely, Brown (Lacey 82), Clark (O’Sullivan 67), McCartan, Gornell (Kee 72). Subs: Hughes, Taylor-Fletcher, Chapman, Ogle.
Stevenage: Jones, Henry, Wilkinson, Franks, Ntlhe, Kennedy, Schumacher, King, Gorman (Wells 78). Godden (McAnuff 90), McKirdy (Lee 68). Subs: Day, Liburd, Pett, Cowans.