Go ahead for Stevenage Carnival
A CARNIVAL will take place in Stevenage next year, organisers have promised after the event was cancelled this summer.
Stevenage Carnival was due to be resurrected on June 6 after it was axed in 2003 after 41 years in the town because of increasing costs and health and safety issues.
But the event was cancelled because the emergency services, Herts Highways and Stevenage Borough Council told the organisers that insufficient details had been submitted, and because concerns in relation to the carnival route and security had not been addressed.
Stevenage Borough Council members Matthew Hurst, Christine Hurst and James Fraser have now offered to lend their support to organising next year’s event.
Liz Cornell, spokesman for the Stevenage Carnival committee, said: “We were hugely disappointed we couldn’t secure the necessary agreements this time around, but we now have the regular support of three borough councillors and, with their guidance and help, we are determined the event will happen in 2011.”
You may also want to watch:
She added: “The organisation of the 2010 carnival was all but complete. We now have almost a year for further organisation, which means we can make 2011’s event even bigger and better than this year’s was planned to be.”
The committee is looking for volunteers to join them. For more information, email email@example.com
- 1 Taser video: Officer's actions which left man with injuries 'deemed appropriate'
- 2 A505 driver escapes without serious injury after head-on crash
- 3 Arrest made and 350 cannabis plants seized after raid in Letchworth
- 4 Council criticised for 'shoddy' underpass paint job
- 5 'Important milestone' reached in building of John Barker Place
- 6 History buffs celebrate town's historic buildings
- 7 Glimpses of the past: Exploring Hitchin from 1910 - 1950
- 8 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 9 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 10 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
The committee’s next meeting will be held at the Ramada Cromwell on Stevenage’s High Street at 8pm on Tuesday, July 20. All are welcome.