Girlguiding centenary celebrations flourish in Stevenage
MORE than 100 Rainbows, Brownies and Guides braved the rain to plant 3,000 bulbs on a roundabout as part of the Girlguiding UK centenary celebrations. Members of Stevenage Pin Green District were joined by Stevenage Borough Council (SBC) members, Dilys Cl
MORE than 100 Rainbows, Brownies and Guides braved the rain to plant 3,000 bulbs on a roundabout as part of the Girlguiding UK centenary celebrations.
Members of Stevenage Pin Green District were joined by Stevenage Borough Council (SBC) members, Dilys Clark and Carol Latif, on the roundabout at Grace Way/Martins Way/Canterbury Way in the town.
District commissioner Tina Honeysett said: "It was a brilliant atmosphere, with everyone helping each other. It was a perfect example of what girlguiding is all about."
Stevenage North District Guides planted bulbs on the roundabout at Gunnels Wood Road/Bridge Road West, and were joined by leader of SBC, Sharon Taylor. She said: "It was great to see so many Rainbows, Brownies, Guides and their families planting the bulbs, which will provide a fantastic spring display for our local community."
You may also want to watch:
SBC area committees granted �1,000 for the enterprise, and leaders, supporters and one intrepid Rainbow completed a sponsored walk around the Stevenage Outer Orbital Path to pay for some bulbs.
As part of the centenary celebrations, girls from Knebworth Guides, Brownies, Rainbows and Rangers have also presented two special edition roses to Knebworth House, for the gardens there.
- 1 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 2 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 3 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 4 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 5 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 6 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 7 Surprise signing Adam Smith happy to get back into training and playing with Stevenage
- 8 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 9 Resident with disabilities 'embarrassed' after council disposes of wheelchair
- 10 Knebworth's Jamie Rutherford lands Tour Championship with dramatic final round
The Girlguiding UK Centenary Rose (Harnova) is on sale at Harkness Roses on Cambridge Road in Hitchin.
To find out more about Gilrguiding opportunities in the area, visit www.girlguidinghertfordshire.org.uk